Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the site I just picked up a 1978 Mcah 1 orig V6 manual now a 1968 302 auto 4barrel. tFound the gas cap to have a bad seal and now I have water in the gas tank. Any ideas on how to remove easy and cheap would be great. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
220 Posts
well on my tank it has a drain on it. So i would just drain the tank and properly dispose of the waste. If that is what you want to know? then if the inside of the tank looks ok then your fine but if it is rusty then i were you i would just buy a new tank and save all the hassel of trying to clean the tank up:D That may not be the cheapest way but thought it could help.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Icecat 66,
As suggested, see if you can see the inside of the tank.
Old tanks cause a great deal of trouble.

A pretty easy way to get the gas out if you don't have a drain.
Look at the line that goes to the fuel pump. Disconnect it and hook up a small hand vac pump. This will create a suction and drain to appropriate containers for proper disposal.

After you drain as much gas as possible, look at the color of the gas. If it is dark and smells....I suggest tank work. You may get lucky.

If you put in new gas...add a can of "dry gas" to the tank. it would be good to add a little "stabilizer like Stabil" as well.

Hope this helps........ Print Dad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Icecat 66,
As suggested, see if you can see the inside of the tank.
Old tanks cause a great deal of trouble.

A pretty easy way to get the gas out if you don't have a drain.
Look at the line that goes to the fuel pump. Disconnect it and hook up a small hand vac pump. This will create a suction and drain to appropriate containers for proper disposal.

After you drain as much gas as possible, look at the color of the gas. If it is dark and smells....I suggest tank work. You may get lucky.

If you put in new gas...add a can of "dry gas" to the tank. it would be good to add a little "stabilizer like Stabil" as well.

Hope this helps........ Print Dad
Thanks for the help I'm working on it on Monday hope it turns out well (easy) the 68' 302cid 4barrel runs great off the little tank mod i did to drive it into the garage (haha)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
You don't say how much water. If its only a little bit them alcohol will suck it up and run if through the engine. May not run all that great until its gotten rid of all the water but it should work. If you've got gallons of water then drain the tank.

All gas in the USA today has ethanol in it which absorbs water. But if you need more help then WalMart sells Heet in bright yellow plastic bottles for about $1 each. Its pure alcohol and meant to 'dry out' your gas tank, i.e. get rid of the water. Since every fillup gives you 10% alcohol today I don't why they still sell the stuff but it was available the last time I looked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't say how much water. If its only a little bit them alcohol will suck it up and run if through the engine. May not run all that great until its gotten rid of all the water but it should work. If you've got gallons of water then drain the tank.

All gas in the USA today has ethanol in it which absorbs water. But if you need more help then WalMart sells Heet in bright yellow plastic bottles for about $1 each. Its pure alcohol and meant to 'dry out' your gas tank, i.e. get rid of the water. Since every fillup gives you 10% alcohol today I don't why they still sell the stuff but it was available the last time I looked.
Yeah don't know how much water got in the fuel cap had a bad seal and it sat out in the rain (heavy) a few times and I could see water in the fuel filter changed that and ran it right off of a small gad tank in the shed works awsome so water amount at this point is ????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts