Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,i recently bought 1979 Ford Mustang with 302 Windsor engine and C4 automatic transmission and i want to change engine and transimission oil but i dont know which oil is recommended,so i am asking your for help with this...thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Conventional 5W30 or 10W30 if it's got some miles on it. Dexron/Mercon III or IV for the tranny.

Stick with Motorcraft, Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil 1, basically any of the brand names for oil.

I personally prefer Valvoline. Also consider a zinc additive, since new oils have a reduced zinc content.

Shell Rotella T and Valvoline race oils still contain high zinc content. Ignore the fact that Rotella is advertised for diesels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply,about the engine oil - 10w30 is ok but what about api classification?and tranny oil - i was thinking about dextron III - are you 100% sure about this oil (i dont meant it bad its just question :) because rebuild of transmission is quite expensive here in czech republic so i wanna be 100% sure that im using right oil to prevent damage of transmission :)

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You're the first one I can remember that asked for the API classification. The most recent is SM, SL/CF. That's what I use and yes, you'd use Mercon III for the tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats weird that nobody cares about api specifications (or maybe everybody knows the right specification :) and i've got one little stupid question - dextron III is the same as mercon III ? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was googling and i found out that dextron and mercon is the same oil :),but one thing is little worrying me - i remembered that on the tranny dipstick is written something like use ESW-M2C33-F TYPE F OIL - so is type f oil some old oil which is not used today ?and i've got one more question about engine - sometimes the ENGINE warning lamp lights up during the ride but everything seems to be normal . engine runs great,it has good temperature and there is a enough oil in the engine - what can cause this lamp lights up?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
hmm, i would have said that you want to use Type-F transmission fluid too for a 1979 C-4 transmission. this isn't really my area of expertise (since all my transmissions call for gear oil), but i thought all old ford automatics used type-f

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
ok, i was wrong, i just checked my service manual and your transmission does indeed call for dexronIII/merconIII type oil. and i personally recommend Valvoline 10W-30 full sythetic oil for the motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.