Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and am desperate for an answer. So here's the run down. It's a 1982 mercury capri with around 400 horsepower. I took it apart in December because the intake gasket and head gasket and header gaskets were leaking. While the heads were off I polished them up and made them glass again ( they were previously ported) both heads were shined up and put back on. I bought new lifters which were the same ones that were in it. I reused the push rods because they were straight as an arrow. Now here's the change up. I put full roller rockers on instead of the roller tips that were on it. Everything was too zero lash and snug and done right. I didn't do it I had my mechanic do it. Dropped the intake on and heres another change I did. I removed the old duraspark and accel box that was in there and replaced it with an hei with the coil built in. I also removed the mechanical fan and put an electric fan but that's shouldn't matter. When I first went to fire it we put some gas down the carb and it popped on a few cylinders and that was it. We had no spark and we blew the fuse. So we decided to wire the distributor straight the battery. We have spark but weak spark. When I first turned the key something smoked in the cab ( possibly ground). So I'm looking for answers. Could my hei be junk? I'm getting fuel. I have spark ( not much but spark is spark) and I have plenty of compression. In theory it should run. I know that I am 180 on at tdc and have tried numerous timing combinations. (First time timing a ford, Chevy all my life haha) any insight on what might be wrong? It ran the day I parked it in the garage. I'm almost certain it the ignition, I just need to know where I went wrong. Any questions ask away!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't want to bum you out, but it is a mess when a bunch of things are changed all at once. I hate to say this, but you changed a lot of stuff all at once, unfortunately much of it for no good reason.

If the lifters were flat tappet lifters (hydraulic or solid), and you changed them, you can accelerate cam wear. This is because the cam and old lifters seat together in a pattern. With roller tip lifters, it doesn't matter.

How "shiny" a port is doesn't matter much, but generally an intake port works better when a little rough. You don't want it like a mirror because with a mirror finish gas that condenses on the walls will run along into the cylinder.

Sounds like you have a wiring error with the ignition or fans, and have damaged something under the dash. Fords sometimes use resistance wire from the ignition to ballast the coil, as opposed to a lumped physical ballast resistor. I'm not sure what your Capri has. Or you may have overloaded a wire under the dash with the fan current draw.

You know Ford counts cylinder locations different than GM? Depending on cam, Ford uses 13726548 and 15426378. Your engine could have either cam, if someone changed the cam. Normally a 351W is 13726548, but a non-HO cam will also fit right in. They will often start when miswired, but only fire on a few cylinders and pop back through the intake.

I'm not sure why you changed the ignition. The Duraspark ignition is a good ignition to at least 7000 RPM. I ran several of them with 351W's and nitrous, running 6500-7000 RPM, and they never missed a beat. My present car is a supercharged 363 with up to 15 lbs of boost, and still uses the Ford OEM ignition with an MSD coil. It never missis a beat up to 7000 RPM. Ford makes a very good factory ignition, and I used to design ignitions and ignition test equipment for a major aftermarket manufacturer. Maybe you can easily change the ignition back and see if it cures the low spark? "Spark" is not just spark, until it reaches a certain level. Only at a certain level does extra spark not help, and with the Ford OEM ignition that's around 6500-7000 RPM and some very high cylinder pressures. If you have weak enough spark it can be a problem.

Lifter adjustment and other things can be a problem, and it is ROUGH on new flat tappet lifters to crank and crank an engine without running it until the lifters seat in to match with the cam. If you have roller lifters, it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not what I wanted to hear but thank you for the answer. the lifters were changed because someone in my family dropped the old ones. That was the only reason for changing the lifters. I didn't wanna put something that was on the ground in my motor. I took the duraspark out because at 5000rpm it would break up and studder. They are hydraulic flat tappet lifters. And as for the polishing. It was just to get carbon off and the exhaust and intake ports had drummel to them so they aren't glass. As for reusing the duraspark. I unfortunately threw it away and looks like I'm in a mess of trouble and I did not know there were 2 firing orders for ford. But I did not use a gm firing order. As for the electric fan it is not interfering because it is hooked to a toggle and ten directly to the battery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts