Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, I just replaced 2 barrel carb and intake for a holley 600cfm 4 barrel. Due to money restrictions I am using an intake off of an 1984 Mustang GT. I can get the car to start and if I have a vacuum plug unplugged on the back of the intake, that the brakes plug into, the car will idle. It idles rough and sometimes will pop out the carb, and has no power when you try to drive it. It seems like it is running rich, but I am told that the popping is from it running to lean. I have the stock fuel pump and the floats are set with the fuel just below the sight window. I desperately need help. Please....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
sounds like you need a good tuning guide, but for starters i would say you're running pretty rich since unplugging a vacuum line would greatly lean out the carb and lack of power is usually a sign of vacuum leakage/too rich mixture. sorry, can't help much more without being there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Might be a timing issue too. Did you take the distributor out when you changed the intake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took out the dist. It took me some time, but i have the dist. back in right and it is at 14d BTDC. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I would now take some spray cleaner like carb or choke cleaner and spray around the edge of the intake, and see if the engine changes tone in any way. If it does, you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Spray the cleaner around where the carb meets the intake too. Vacuum leaks can be tricky things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.