Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some long tube headers from summit , and I am installing them myself . I have read the instructions and followed them to a T , but they just wont fit into its place like the instructions say they should . What am I doing wrong ? And is it possible that they may be the wrong headers for the car ?
:headscratch:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Where are they contacting, you might need to raise the engine quite a bit to get them in (don't think it's just a couple of inches). To get mine in I had to pull the engine out to get the driver side in and the tranny to get the rider side in.
Do you have the part number for the headers you got? That might help.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
They're supposed to fit, where are they getting interference. The most common is on the steering shaft, the passenger side strut tower, and then around the bellhousing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the steering shaft , and I get caught on the bell housing . On the passanger side it gets caught on the bell housing and the strut tower .

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Ok, what transmission do you have? I hope a manual, and if it is you just have to raise the engine and transmission together, that'll let you move it over to get it past the tower too. If it's an automatic, you're going to have a problem.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Definitely, you'll have to raise it about a foot to get it in there.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I can imagine. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If the motor mounts are original, you can pretty much guarantee that they are shot. That'll cause interference issues with the headers as well.

While you have the engine lifted for the header install is a GREAT time to replace them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Im pretty sure that with any longtube header you will have to lift the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
can I get a differant pair of headers so that I wont have to lift the engine
I don't think there are any LT's that don't require you to lift the engine. In my case when I installed LT's I only had to raise the engine 3-4" so I don't know how bad an 82 is.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I didn't have to lift the engine on my 83 to get my long tubes in, but I did it with brand new motor mounts. You need to cut them up into the pieces the instructions say to do and you should be able to weasel them in there. I think the driver's side is a little more difficult than the passenger side, but it's still possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.