Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring my 1982 Mustang and have encountered some cracking on the front nose piece and air dam. These plastic or fiberglass parts have many small hair-line cracks. How do I prep these parts for painting? Do I use the same base coat - clear coat coatings that I will select for the rest of the body? Any help would be appreciated. I have many pictures but can't post on this web site.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I am restoring my 1982 Mustang and have encountered some cracking on the front nose piece and air dam. These plastic or fiberglass parts have many small hair-line cracks. How do I prep these parts for painting? Do I use the same base coat - clear coat coatings that I will select for the rest of the body? Any help would be appreciated. I have many pictures but can't post on this web site.
Prep the surface with acetone. Since you have small cracks and what not, use a self-etching primer. Yes you paint the entire exterior of the car in the same manor.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Whoa, don't forget to paint the urethane bumpers with flex agent in the paint or the paint will crack and chip in no time. The rest of the car gets normal paint. Clear coat may be mixed in the type of paint you choose or can be sprayed on afterwards.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Since the bumper flex, you do need the flex agent in the paint, it has to be kept pliable.
And why can't you post pictures here? Problem loading them in?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
That looks like a paint problem, rather than cracks in the fiberglass. But that could be due to the picture throwing me off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine has places on it like that.Its the paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear Window Louvers

Does anyone know a resource that sells aluminum louvers for the rear window equipped with wipers? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.