Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize if I am bringing up an old topic but I am confused.....:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

I am running a 1983 T5 tranny that supposedly went to a race shop in California for a bunch of work (over a grand?) and then only spent a couple of weeks in a1983 5.0 GT Mustang before the car was totaled. I received the tranny and took it to a local tranny shop and had it checked over for any damage, luckly none found.:shigrin:shigrin I am getting ready to fill the tranny, with I understand between 2.5 and 2.8 quarts, depending on who you listen to, and am somewhat confused on what to use. I have read and searched all kind of sites and threads :happyhappand get gear oil, regular oil, synthetic oil, and automatic tranny fluid. As stated it is a NON World Class, so I'm not positive on the ATF fluid, but was thinking of using Amsoil ATF Fluid for the fill. Any input would be appreciated....:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
It's supposed to use Mercon III fluid, or the synthetic equivalent. Gear oil is too thick.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Boy, the stock NW class still took the gear oil I thought but if the shop spend $1000, they must have upgraded it to the WC trans. Like Eagle said, I's sure go with the ATF. Anyway of finding out what the shop did to it?
Dave

·
Registered
621 Posts
Boy, the stock NW class still took the gear oil I thought but if the shop spend $1000, they must have upgraded it to the WC trans. Like Eagle said, I's sure go with the ATF. Anyway of finding out what the shop did to it?
Dave

I'd be real careful. The stock T5 I pulled out of my 83 had what looked like transmission fluid in it, and it was never worked on or changed. It might have been a very thin gear lube of some type, but it ws nothing at all like gear oil.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i had a t5 out of a 83 gt car and it had what seemed to be a 80-90 gear oil in it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this on the Tremec Site
From their T5 Service Manual........

2-4. APPROVED LUBRICANT. Most T5
transmission models use DexronÒ II automatic
transmission fluid. Refer the vehicle owner’s manual
or service manual for lubricant specifications.
CAUTION
Do not mix different bands or types of transmission
lubricant. DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN THE T5
TRANSMISSION SINCE THIS MAY DAMAGE THE
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The 1983 and 1984 Car Shop Manual (printed for and used by Ford Service) listed "Dexron II" as the fluid that was to be used in the T5OD manual transmission.

The 1983 and 1984 Mustang Owner Guide stated the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.