Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 1984 anniversary hatch, manual 5.0. Had it since new, 50K miles, but it's been sitting in my driveway for a number of years now only started up occasionally and driven short distances once in a while. Now converting it to a DD and it needs some work. Took it to the shop and the estimate they gave me seems like it's a little much for some stuff. Does this seem fair to you guys?

tl;dr - prices look good here or no?

Parts
Brakes - Front pads/rotors/calipers/hoses Rear wheel cylinders/shoes/drums - 547
Water pump - 87
Timing cover gasket - 19
Valve cover gasket - 20
Wiper blades - 15
Antifreeze (1gal) - 13
oil - 17

Labor
lube, oil, filter - 13.50
water pump removal/replacement - 180
Timing cover gasket - 270
Valve cover gasket (both) - 180
Brake System (complete) - 270
Remove/replace brake hose - 45
Disc Rotor, replace, includes bearing repack - 45

The main thing I need to justify is the $180 for valve cover gasket replacement. Really don't think that's too involved of a job to justify that much shop time.

Already telling him not to change the oil or the wiper blades, and I think I'm just doing the valve cover gaskets myself for that price too. Everything else look justifiable to you all? Not just price but is everything really necessary?

Thanks for your help, I would have done the research on my own but time is an issue and I figured there's enough people here that know enough to give me a quick answer.

Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
lil high do it your self at least the valve covers live in oklahoma bring over a 24 pack ill do it for free beer there is cheaper people out there but if he stands behind his work full warranty pay for what you cant do do the rest

·
Registered
454 Posts
Doing the timing cover gasket will most likely drop some dirt into the oil. Trying to save a couple bucks not changing the oil isn't worth it. If you really want to save, do the brakes yourself. Parts aren't that expensive and you'll save a bunch on labor.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
All the prices look pretty standard to me, except for the $180 labor for the valve cover gaskets, I don't think the labor on those is more than 1.0 hrs. or so.

·
Registered
912 Posts
same everything but the valve cover looks to be good to me, i would do it on your own, its not too bad, or if its not leaking like bad, live with it lol.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would not pay $360 for labor on brakes and wheel bearings, even if it did include replacing all of the hoses.

I would say do the valve covers and the brakes yourself, have him do the timing cover and water pump along with an oil change and the antifreeze...prolly need him to do the two sets of fluids if he does these jobs just in case something goes wrong down the road with crap in the oil or cooling system...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They are kind of double dipping on the water pump replacement and timing cover gasket...They really should just be charging labor for just the timing cover gasket since the water pump will be off to do that anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts