Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have an 84 Mustang GT and the hatch is loose which wont let it close right.:headscratch: Its heavy and loose. The shocks dont work. What can I do to tighten it back up and align it so that my hatch may close correctly?
Thanks,
Jose'

·
Registered
797 Posts
The hatch on these cars can be a pita. The parts on 50resto.com may help you with your problem. There are little adjusters on the corners of the hatch of the car can break in time. There is also a plastic sticker bushing that goes around the latch for the hatch that can crack and fall off over time and leave your hatch loose and rattling. You will have to buy new hatch support shocks if they are not supporting the hatch anymore. They ware out because of the weight off this hatch with the spoiler on back and they also look to small for the job to begin with. Make sure that where the hatch hinges to the body at the top of the roof that the body is not rusted out causing the hatch to be loose. When you have the hatch adjusted properly you should not have to slam it too hard because in time this can also damage the latch. Like I said earlier these hatches can be a real pita.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The thing that made the most difference in the way my hatch closed was replacing the striker bushing. It closes now without having to slam it several times and doesn't rattle nearly as much either. This applies to the doors as well. I ordered my striker bushings from Fox Mustang Restoration.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
hatch

jose,
the gas shocks are about 20 bucks from the auto parts store and are easy to replace. Also if you have a pipe wrench you can adjust the latch post (up or down) on your own by losening it by turning it in a clockwise manner. The latch post is attached to the body of your car and is what the latch wraps around when you slam it shut. If you lower the latch post too far down the latch does not close completely and will have a tendency to pop open when you hit a bump. sorry i got late into the forum and did not respond sooner.
jmpunit

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem the striker bushing was cracked and fell apart. You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and look for plastic bushings that will fit over the striker. I had to sand them down a little but it only cost a $1.50 instead of $18

·
Registered
941 Posts
ya all fox's have probs my hatch would pop open in hard cornering i just sprayed the latch with free up lube shuts nice and dont open! used to have to slam it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.