Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 84 has blown its head its gasket. Now the plan is to do it in January or February when it slows down at the shop. I just started working in the shop 9 months ago right out of high school, and I am currently on the alignment rack, so I have not started my apprenticeship yet. I have helped with one or two head gaskets before, but never from start to finish. I'd like to start gathering info on what to do now so the process is relatively painless. The engine is completely stock with 260000km on it (150000m?). My budget is probably around 1000 dollars and I'd like to possibly upgrade the engine as cheaply as possible. So a list of good upgrades would be great, as well as any special tools I may need. Any advice would be great as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What mods do you have already? Carbed right?
If its stock here is how I would spend it

Gt40 heads-400
Used carb and manifold(edelbrock or Holley)-200
Tfs1 cam-100(used)
Headers and exhaust(used shorties)-200
Misc gaskets-100

This should pick you up 50-70 hp

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Replacing the head gasket isn't too bad. Take it apart and then put it back together the same way.
Only special tool you'll need is a torque wrench.

Better heads are a great upgrade- GT40 is the cheapest option and what is on mine. Shop used and see what you find.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, ya the only thing that's upgraded is the exhaust, I believe an x-pipe or whatever its called and yes its carbed. Also keeping in mind that I'm from Calgary where would you recommend getting them (not a lot of used mustang parts at the j-yard)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts