Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my 1984 3.8 V6; I'm thinking of swapping out the engine. I can't find a good used 84 Mustang engine. What Ford engines are identical to minimize problems? How can I find out? I'm told the 1984 Cougar is identical. But, I'm not sure. Is this a good idea, will it work? I would any appreciate any advise. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may have to use the intake from your mustang, other than that the only differences that I have run into is the oil pan and oil pump pick up (swap them from the old engine). I used to have a 1984 3.8 convertible and had replaced the engine over the years with one from an '86 LTD and a one from a'90 T-Bird. Make sure that the engine that you get has good oil pressure, bad oil pressure is why the LTD motor didn't survive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as the block and heads go I think you can use any rear wheel drive 3.8 from the '80's to '91.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DR…Thanks for your insight and experience with replacing your 1984 Mustang engine. I’m still having difficulty finding a donor Ford engine. One candidate is 1984 Cougar engine; needs a little more investigation. Since I still have some time, I’ll continue trying to identify a Ford engine that identical has possible to my 1984 mustang V6. Thanks again for your time and advice; it’s made me aware of some the problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.