Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is really starting to get to me. Ive replaced the water pump gasket 3 times and the timing cover gasket twice in the last few months. Is it building up too much water pressure or something? Ive been using 50/50 antifreeze.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok so this is really starting to get to me. Ive replaced the water pump gasket 3 times and the timing cover gasket twice in the last few months. Is it building up too much water pressure or something? Ive been using 50/50 antifreeze.
Maybe you installed your Thermostat backwards? :headscratch:

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
What is the gasket doing? Splitting or disintegrating? Or is there any visible reason why it keeps blowing? Are you sure the mating surfaces are flat and true?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as i know its just splitting. You can see part of it blew out near one of the bolts near where the water passage is on the side. The timing cover gasket 'might' be ok. I cleaned everything up and it still looks good but im still going to keep an eye on it just to be safe. Someone said if the radiator hoses get soft inside they can increase the water pressure, even though i dont see how. But the lower hose kind of needed replacing so i got a new one anyway.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate to bring up older threads but it blew the water pump gasket again today. Just driving down the highway. I found another 302 on craigslist for $50, i think im just going to buy that, strip it down, and build it all back up from scratch so i know there wont be any kinks in it anywhere.

Mines got bad rings anyway so i might as well just build a new motor on the side while im driving this one instead of spending a week with no drivable car trying to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.