Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1984 mustang gt 5.0 liter, with a 5 speed in it, i parked it, went inside to eat and came out, went to push the clutch in to start it, got about halfway down and heard a loud pop and the clutch pedal fell loose, it didnt just stay down it just rocked back and forth like if someone broke their arm almost completly off, i can just touch it and it will swing back and forth, we looked under the car and their is a piece of cable attached to a nut under the driver side door about 4" long, it may have just been a coincidince that it was laying there but idk, it still starts up when i press the clutch in, whats wrong with it and how do i fix it? thank you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
you probably broke your cable.

yes the car will still start as long as the clutch is at the floor. thats where it activated the clutch switch to allow the car to start. dont need the clutch hooked up.

you shouldnt see cable hanging. theres a small cover on the driver side of the trans that if you remove (like one bolt) you can see the end of the clutch fork. most likely ull see the broken cable or no cable at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yes the car will still start as long as the clutch is at the floor. thats where it activated the clutch switch to allow the car to start. dont need the clutch hooked up.

you shouldnt see cable hanging. theres a small cover on the driver side of the trans that if you remove (like one bolt) you can see the end of the clutch fork. most likely ull see the broken cable or no cable at all.
its not hanging, i meant there was a piece under the car completely deattached, it wasnt hanging sorry for not being too clear, how much is this part and how do i put it on? can you help? thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

its not hanging, i meant there was a piece under the car completely deattached, it wasnt hanging sorry for not being too clear, how much is this part and how do i put it on? can you help? thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
its pretty easy it hooks around a quadrant above the gas pedal and passes thru the firewall. has one bolt holding it to the driver side frame under the strut tower. then goes into the clutch fork with a little c clip.

you can get the upgrade kit for 120ish. a stock cable for 60ish maybe a little more

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh alright well I dont really have $100 ill try though, and how exactly am i gonna do this? i apologize for all the questions im just trying to learn, id rather do it myself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
get under the dash and look above the gas pedal. push down the clutch a little and you can see where the cable hooks to the quadrant. poke at it with a screwdriver or something to free it.

then remove the bolt on the frame that holds the cable and pull it thru the firewall. then get to the clutch fork by removing the cover on the drivers side of the trans and take off the little c clip to get that end free (dont know where it broke).

then just slip the new cable thru the firewall hook it over the quadrant and everythin else is reverse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, ill do it tomorrow, do i need to put it on ramps or not necessary? can I just use a jack if anything?

and all the vacuum hoses on the car are not connected? its got the edelbrock carb and no stock air intake on it, the hoses are plugged with sticks... it ran good when it was working, i reconnected one, and will try to reconnect the others.

how do i set my idle a little higher as well it idles around 600 and feels like it wants to die. also how do i advance my timing 2 degrees?

·
Registered
304 Posts
you can defintely search the site for others asking the same questions.

the timing is done by turning your distributer, but you have to get a light and figure out where you are before you just go messing with timing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright well off i go to search, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k well we tried to change it today, the little lever thing that it slips onto by the trans is like stuck, it wont move forward or backwards, just stays in one spot, my friends dad said its probably the clutch and throwout bearings or something. what do i do now? the cable is long enough its just about 1" within of reaching that thing by the transmission, this is because it wont move forward like it shoudl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.