Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a good link that shows how to replace a clutch in detail? step by step? my clutch went out and I have to put a new one in, how do I get it high enough? jackstands?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know a link. But I've recently done my research. I am actually doing a clutch job rigth now on my car.

I've got all fours off the ground high enough to work comfortably underneath. I would just get it as high, permitting its safe, as you can.

There's a lot of good info on this site this job. If you have specific questions, i would just ask.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what size and what kind of wrench or socket do I need to take off the driveshaft bolts? there is 4 of them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i think its a 12 mm 12 point. i could be wrong, but i know its a 12 point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you were right on the wrench, those bolts dont wanna come off though, I have soaked them in wd40 3 different times and they are still on there good, they wont come off, what should I do and which end of the wrench shoudl i use? closed or open?

·
Registered
53 Posts
May I suggest you just pull the engine and tranny as a set? Honestly if you have never done a clutch swap before it would be easier and safer just to yank the whole setup out than to be tugging at a tranny under a car.:bigthumbsup

Another advantage would be you could replace your oil pump, rod main bearings, and oil pan gasket also. This way you should never need to be under your car for a severe repair again.:scratchchin

Just a suggestion, not sure if your engine is new or not, and budget.:headscratch:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the driveshaft off, and most of the bolts off the tranny, there is a jack holding it up and the tranny crossmember, the transmission does not want to come apart from the engine though, how do I get it off and slide back the transmission?

·
Registered
9 Posts
there are 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing. Take those off. That will allow you to take the transmission down and off the bellhousing.You'll also need to make sure you take off the clutch cable (on the bellhousing-driver side). Once you do that, you'll be able to take the clutch fork out of the bellhousing(the thing that you took the clutch cable off). Now you'll need to remove the starter(2 bolts).Then you can take all the bolts off the bell housing where it bolts up to the engine, and it will then come off. then you're left with the clutch and flywheel. The clutch comes out by removing 6 or 8 bolts that connect it to the flywheel.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally changed the clutch, now the car wont start, its acting like it has no battery, only the lights work though, it wont even begin to turn over, there was a kill switch for the ignition and you used to just flip it on and pump the gas and it would start, now it wont, whats wrong with it now? new battery? electrical short?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
car is now up and running, my speedo dont work though, how do i fix this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.