Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 1984 Ford mustang gt turbo convertible (yes, I know, 1 of 412) since 1991..Ran it as a daily driver until 1995 then parked it in the garage. Now, years later, I have reserected it and it still runs, new gas, filter, oil etc....

Questions are....idles rough, I know sat for years...but it should be better

oil leaking from turbo feed line it leaks and maybe not draining down into the block???

The wiring at the tfi module is coming apart...insulation coming off etc....any replacement harnesses available...new connectors???

Anything I can do to make it a great running car (IE: intercooler?)

ANy help is welcomed and I welcome phone calls from those that can help-

My number is 973-277-4294

Any help appreciated in getting this rare car back running again!!!

Thanks in advance....

Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
forced4 motorsports should have the wiring pig tails you need.
and stinger performance has nice turbo oil feed and return lines you could take yours off clean them and reuse them.
stinger has alot of nice custom parts for your car including a FMIC kit.
and if you've done a full tuneup and its still rough at idle there is a procedure to set the IAC and TPS i don't think i remember every step and i don't want to steer you wrong so i'll find it in my notes and post it if no one posts it before then. good luck

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
forced4 motorsports should have the wiring pig tails you need.
x2 They also have an oil feed line that is a direct replacement

and if you've done a full tuneup and its still rough at idle there is a procedure to set the IAC and TPS i don't think i remember every step and i don't want to steer you wrong so i'll find it in my notes and post it if no one posts it before then. good luck
Courtesy of the SVOCA Forums

To set the TPS you will need the following tools.
1. Small Phillips screwdriver
2. Digital Voltmeter
3. Analog Voltmeter

The base idle needs to be set properly prior to setting the TPS. see below for instructions on setting base idle

The next thing to do is hook up the analog meter to the green and Black wires. With the key on open and close the throttle body slowly, you should see the needle move in a smooth arc without jumping around. If the needle jumps there is a dead spot in the TPS and it will need to be replaced.

The next step is to set the TPS to the proper voltage with the key in the on position. Using your digital meter, connect to the same wires as you did in the above. The TPS voltage should be as close to .90V with the TB in the closed position. At full open (WOT) should be around 4.5V to 4.75 V. If the TPS is not within the above settings, loosen the 2 phillips head screws and rotate the TPS until you get to .90V at closed throttle. Tighten the screws, and recheck your settings again.

How do I set my Base Idle?

To set your base idle you will need to have the car running, at operating temperature, all accessories off.

The next step is to disconnect the IAC (Idle Air Controller). The engine speed should slow to around 750 or it may stall. The proper setting is listed on the emissions decal on the cover of the coil.

With the IAC still disconnected set the idle speed using the adjustment screw on the front of the TB. Operate the throttle a few times to make sure that it is set properly.

Turn off the engine and reconnect the IAC and start the car. After a few minutes the idle should set itself around 950 to 1025 RPM. After doing this procedure, it may be necessary to reset the TPS.

Have you done a tune up using MOTORCRAFT ignition parts?
Is the ignition timing set at 10* BTDC with the SPOUT unplugged?

I would definately get the TFI harness replaced before spending more money. Sometimes it's the little things that will surprise you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses

I thank all of you for the responses and hope to get her running correct and start to enjoy the turbo fun

Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a nice one to have good luck with it

got any pics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.