Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 small block from a Mustang installed in my 1971 Mustang Grande. I have installed an Edelbrock performer intake and carburetor. I know that the distributor and waterpump are form the orginal 1971 block. I would like to replace the harmonic balancer that is currently installed. No timing marks etc and looks over all worn out. I was looking at two different TCI offerings from the Elastomer Balancer seriers for the Ford Small Block, external balance eaither the 28oz or the 50oz. After readling I found that the 50oz is for HO 302's. So how do I tell if I have a HO 302 that would require the 50oz?

·
Registered
435 Posts
If your engine is For sure from an 84 Mustang, then yes it is a H.O. engine. 82 was the first year for the H.O.

·
Registered
176 Posts
when you installed the intake, did it have the spider assembly holding the lifters straight in their bores?
You can also check the the size of the existing damper weight. If it's huge, that would be the 50oz.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not all HO engines are rollers, so checking for the spider assembly is not an accurate way to tell.

5.0forlife is correct, HO 302's were first used in '82. From '82 to the '85 CFI cars, they were all flat tappet cams. The '85 4V was the first to get a roller cam. Starting in '86, Ford went to roller blocks across the board. Non-HO's even got the roller cam. Truck engines stayed flat tapett though.

If the engine (HO or not) is '82 or newer, it is a 50oz balance. (351W's stayed 28oz until the end of production)

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
1984 engines, even the H.O. version, used flat tappet cams so it won't have the retainer spider. Since it's an 84 engine, it's a 50 ounce balance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have ordered aTCI® Elastomer Balancer 50oz and also a TCI Timing Pointer. Should have it next week. I will let eveyone know how it goes.:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.