Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... i bought a 84 gt turbo motor from junkyard and ive completely re-built it from top to bottom, i also got the vam, vam harness and ecu which is a "TF" the car it came out of was a 5 spd my 89 is automatic....

1) what ecu would i need to work with the automatic? I did some research on the internet and found that the the 84 turbo gt only came with a 5spd!?

2) will the stock fuel pump be sufficient for the turbo motor?

3) the injectors from turbo motor have a dark green top does anyone know the size of these?

Thank you for your time to read this any help would be much appreciated!!!

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 5-speed computer will not run the automatic. It will run and drive car. You will lose overdrive and 4th gear. Another thought the 4 speed automatic that is stock for a Mustang [a4ld] will not last long unless rebuilt for HD operation. 4 options.
1 leave alone as long as it last.
2 rebuild HD. I have links.
3 change to 5speed
4 convert to c4. Requires rare bellhousing or 5.0 adapter [can ge rather expense]
Now for your answers.
1 Need a 8ua or pretty sure LB-3. Know for sure of the 8-ua because it is what I use even tho I am running c-4
2Yes and no. Keep boost low and if in excellant condition and up to snuf ok. But would be good idea to upgrade. Won't know that it is not until engine goes or if got fuel pressure gauge permanantly installed in car it goes low.
3 TurboFord FAQ Hopefully color and numbers on it wil find it.
Finally thoughts. Need to intercool it. The computer are setup for intercooler. Long running without one is not good on motor. Maurice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Maurice for your help!

So 8ua would work for the a4ld... I might try this until the tranny goes out, just had rebuilt not long ago but nothing heavy duty!

And how hard would it be to do a auto to 5spd swap?

Also from your link I found that the injectors are 30's, what do recommend as far as the size fuel pump?

Ive been reading alot that most people add a boost controller but being that im somewhat new to turbo vehicles i dont have much clue as to what they are or what they do?

Thanks again, Justin

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts