Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie ... first post here ..

I've got a 1984 V6 Mustang Convertible, Bright Canyon Red (in and out) with a White top. I just picked it up about 10 days ago. The negative battery terminal was bad, so I went to replace it. There's a smaller wire that leads from the negative battery terminal to (I believe) the computer as a dedicated ground for it. About ... 12 inches from the terminal there is a connector (for lack of a better word), followed by a slightly thicker wire (by perhaps 1 gauge), followed by a split to 3 wires. In taking apart the connector (I took off the cable to match it in the parts store) I think I broke it. I'm not sure how it's supposed to look, but since I can't get it to stay back together, I'm sure that's what happened. I'm attaching a picture of it for reference.

Does anyone know what this does and how? Do I need it, or can I splice around it? If I need it, how do I get a new one? I've tried all sorts of searches to figure out what it's called and how to get one, but with no luck.

Thanks for all your help!

-Ash

Attachments

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
What do the other ends connect to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From physically looking at it, I think it connects to the wiring harness (from what I understand of what (and where) that is). The frustrating thing is that it (a second wire from the negative battery cable) doesn't appear on any wiring diagrams.

Is it possible/probable that Ford was trying to make a "quick connect/release" for this part of it which really could be bypassed by splicing around this connector? I just can't think of a reason for it being a switch - why would you want to turn the ground off and on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too

This is my problem too. the middle cable that is on the negative terminal broke so I need to replace it but in order to do that I need to know what I'm looking for. I have the same connector in my car. When I order the part from stores they send me a different cable that has a different connector.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts