Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine harness (coil wires, temp wire, distributor to ignition module, a/c, some wires for the carb and vapor canister) had a lot of frayed wires so I built a new harness. I left out the wires for the carb and vapor deal because my new carburetor doesn't use them.. When it was done I got no spark. I did all the checks and it only had 1.7 volts at the green/red terminal at the coil. unplug the module and it had 12.8. turned out to be a defective connector at the purple wire into the magnetic pickup that I got from Oreillys. replaced that and it fired up. ran for a couple miles then quit.
tested that same wire and it was back to 1.7 volts. So I tested continuity of all wires and good. towed it back home and tested again now 12 at that wire but still wont start. the only test that is not within specs is the white wire that comes into the module is supposed to have 11-13 volts when cranking but only has 9.
aLso the alternator wsn't charging due to green/red wire at regulator did not have 12 volts. found another power source and solved that. Now that same green/red wire is linked into the ignition system into the red/green wire.
The diagram in my hayne's manual is different than whats in my car. it shows a red/green going into the ign. switch. but i dont have that i have just a red wire. 95 ohms resistance between that wire and the green/red at the regulator wire.tried to track it down in my harness but wires are coming together that dont correspond to my diagram.
Does anybody have the real diagram for my car. 1984 5.0 High Output carbureted. no eec manual 5-speed,
PLEASE HELP
if you need more info just ask. i probably have it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.