Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, last night I noticed that there was smoke coming out from underneath my hood. It wasn't a lot but just a little bit that I could see with my headlights. So I lifted the hood and I saw smoke coming out from my alternator? I touched the pulley that the alternator sits on and it was extremely HOT! I had only turned it for about 20-30 seconds and it was already so hot that it would burn to the touch. I hadn't turned it on for about 2 hours before so I don't know why it was still really hot after those 2 hours.

I also noticed that there was a funky smell possibly from the same problem. It smelled like my belt was burning. There should have 2 belts on there but before I buy the 2 new ones, I want to know why my alternator was smoking, and why the pulley was so hot.

I don't know if it can be from my power steering pump because the past owner said it would leak just a little bit and I'm thinking maybe thats what was burning but maybe that is a whole other problem.. I already have the new power steering pump that I will replace soon. Although for now I want to figure out what the smoke and heat is all about. Thanks for any help in advance!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey man, it sounds like the alternator is seizing up. In doing so, your belt is probably slipping over a pulley that isn't turning or not turning freely. That would explain both the heat and the smell. What is your voltage gauge saying durring this? If it isn't turning or hardly turning, your gauge won't read 14 volts. That said, I wouldn't start the car again. If it is seized, it won't take long to burn through the belt. Pop off the belt and try to spin the pulley by hand. That will let you know what is going on. If nothing else, it will rule out the alternator. Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, it sounds like the alternator is seizing up. In doing so, your belt is probably slipping over a pulley that isn't turning or not turning freely. That would explain both the heat and the smell. What is your voltage gauge saying durring this? If it isn't turning or hardly turning, your gauge won't read 14 volts. That said, I wouldn't start the car again. If it is seized, it won't take long to burn through the belt. Pop off the belt and try to spin the pulley by hand. That will let you know what is going on. If nothing else, it will rule out the alternator. Good luck
At the time I turned it off and then I tried turning the pulley where the alternator sits with a rag and it was a little hard but it would turn. Also at one point I felt like it was about to stop turning because it became very hard to do so, but then it still turned. I couldn't look at my voltage gauge because it doesn't have one, I think because it was replaced with the boost gauge on SVOs. If the problem is because the alternator is seizing up, what can be done to fix it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,
more than likely the diodes in the alt are bad. This same thing happened to me and it ended up killing the battery. After the alternator was replaced, all was well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Your alternator should spin easily. If it doesn't, get a new one. A lot of alternators have fixed bronze bushings rather than bearings. These can wear out causing contact between internal parts. At the very least, take it off and inspect it. If it is good reinstall it. If it is bad replace it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. I plan on removing the alternator and inspecting it. I'll post back with the results, thanks!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Almost every parts place will test it as well for free.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the results are in.

Some bad news is that my current alternator was drawing too much current. Which is odd since right before I removed it, I ran the car while measuring the battery's voltage. It was 14.6 V.

Some more bad news is that I lost the core charge to my alternator since it was custom fitted. A piece from the alternator was removed in order to fit. Instead of a new one costing me $146 its now going to cost me $206 :(.
I got to say goodbye to getting some new wheels for my LX.. but I guess this is what happens when doing a resto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.