Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I recently acquired a 1984 svo mustang with a 5 speed manual. It is allot of fun until its not. Ive been fighting with this issue that it doesn't want to run right til it is warm, if I run it before it gets hot then the engine will stall on me while driving. it will also be hard to start because it fires then dies when i try and start it. I can only get it to run by revving it really high then letting it idle down. and input appreciated.

· Administrator
7,797 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all fuel injected and some carbureted 1981-95 OBD1 Fords should have a self test port under the hood somewhere. It'll say EEC TEST on the cover. Pull the cover off and you can jump the terminals to get the car to flash a trouble code with the CEL light using the KOEO test. This article has instructions and a complete list of the codes: How to Retrieve Ford OBD1 Codes and Definitions (2carpros.com)
This article says it starts in 1986 but I think the self test port appears ealier: How to Manually Test EEC-IV OBD1 Trouble Codes on a Fox-Body Mustang for Free (motortrend.com)
Usually, a poor running or idling fuel injected engine will be due to things like a vacuum leak, dirty or defective TB, dirty or defective IAC(idle air control) valve, fuel pressure problem(clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, malfunctioning pressure regulator), etc.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that all fuel injected and some carbureted 1981-95 OBD1 Fords should have a self test port under the hood somewhere. It'll say EEC TEST on the cover. Pull the cover off and you can jump the terminals to get the car to flash a trouble code with the CEL light using the KOEO test. This article has instructions and a complete list of the codes: How to Retrieve Ford OBD1 Codes and Definitions (2carpros.com)
This article says it starts in 1986 but I think the self test port appears ealier: How to Manually Test EEC-IV OBD1 Trouble Codes on a Fox-Body Mustang for Free (motortrend.com)
Usually, a poor running or idling fuel injected engine will be due to things like a vacuum leak, dirty or defective TB, dirty or defective IAC(idle air control) valve, fuel pressure problem(clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, malfunctioning pressure regulator), etc.
Thank you for the input, ill see what i can find

· Registered
722 Posts

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
That reader is known to be of poor quality unfortunately. There's many complaints of the pins pushing right into the unit and becoming unusable. My recommendation is to buy an OBD2 reader that also comes with the adapters for OBD1. It'll cost a couple hundred $ but you have the capability to scan any car no matter when it was made so it's an investment for diagnosing problems on any modern car too. The Innova 3120RS is a good one. The Actron CP9690 is another option but I prefer the Innova.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts