Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys.. so was in the process of sanding/priming and hadn't started up my mustang in about a week. So today I decided to start her up and I got NOTHING. No clicks or any other sounds. So I was like ok dead battery..:headscratch: I get jumper cables and try jump starting from my other stang. Still nothing. So I try a 60amp/200amp jump start charger and I got the light inside to turn on when I open the door. SO I thought it was working..:scratchchin Couple hours later I go to start her and once again NOTHING no sounds either. Then the light inside didn't turn on like it would either. My battery doesn't seem like it can hold a charge/wont charge. Its less than 6 months old, but it sat for those 6 months from the past owner. I was gonna try push starting her to get her to my electrical class in college to see whats going wrong. Except it's a long drive and I don't wanna get stranded..:so Any ideas on what the problem can be? Thanks I appreciate any help in advance!!:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
dead cell brother ..
mabye a fuseable link but i doubt it....
try the battery from your other mustang first tho..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the battery just now and its got 100% juice so that's not the problem. Although when I put the battery back in, I saw my interior light come on when I opened the drivers door. So I go to start her again and the battery light, clock, etc. came on when I had the key on "On". Then I try starting it but I heard a couple clicks. So I'm guessing that's the relay not getting enough current from the battery? I kept messing around with the battery terminals cables, adjusting them to see if they are loose or too tight. By doing this a couple of times the light would come on in my interior as I open the door to start it. Although it still would not start..:confused: I'm guessing the battery terminal cables are bad. If anyone else agrees or has other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would remove the cables, clean the terminals of the cables, battery, and grounding surfaces thoroughly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would remove the cables, clean the terminals of the cables, battery, and grounding surfaces thoroughly.
Thanks, I looked at the battery cables (Positive & negative) they had exposed wires and some were broken off. I assume this is the problem.. since if i try adjusting them certain ways. For instance tightening them on the battery terminals or loosening them to try and make a connection. The interior center light on the headliner board turns on when I make a somewhat good connection after "adjusting" the battery cables. I'm about to start it and I get to the "ON" position of the key, then I go to "START" and it just gives up and there is like a click sound. It SHOULD be the cables right? I hope its nothing else... they cost around 15 bucks each so its not like it would hurt to replace them anyways right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
there's probably too much resistance over the cables causing all the voltage to be used up before it gets to the starter...replace them and see what happens

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's probably too much resistance over the cables causing all the voltage to be used up before it gets to the starter...replace them and see what happens
Yeah thats what I was thinking too, I ordered the cables so they're on their way. Hopefully it solves the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it to start up again! The cables did have too much resistance due to corrosion and some of them were broken. Replaced the positive and negative terminal cables, went to start it and right away got it running again:D Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.