Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have neglected my back seat, and my high school girlfriends little girl keeps complaining, I don't think a full size adult could fit back there. But I know three 9 y/o will. .anyhow I've just started and got all of the fabric lined foam cut, I've watched about five u tube videos so far.

Bought all of the material at Rushin Upholstery Supply here in Little Rock,

Heidi Soft / Black for the seat covers. 30 per y = two yds
1/2 economy Sew foam 5.96 a yard = two yards
Hump hog rings 2.99 for 1/2 pound
Custom order this is heavy duty fabric for the liner that holds the hog clips. 4.00$
Charcoal Uvr, thread for 13.50$

Total was 99.08$.

More pictures later

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OMG, I love it, , of course I practiced on a scrap peice first.

I'm using a Brothers LX 3125, nothing special.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Good luck lol keep posting updates :) just a question how thick is the foam? Because in my LX it's about 2"-3" thick in some places

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, the foam I bought was 1/2 inch, but I have not /did not follow the factory seat, I have added some silky cotton just /only under the seat part, I posted a photo, I think the hard part is coming up, that will be to sew all the pieces together. .. but I'm in no rush. .and in no way have I ever done this before.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first seam, only single stitch at moment, plans to double stitch all seems. It's bowling night, hope to get more done tomorrow. ...

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much progress, but I did get all of the seat part double and triple stitched together,

next I will sew the front part on and then sew the sides to fit..I hope , snowman.gif..

In pictures 739 you can see my mistake, I cut the sew-foam to short, so I hand stitch / added about one inch..

also I have cut all of the access material off..

NOTE :
I'm not a professional, this is my first time to upholster..

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a reason for piping? Do I have to use Piping? I still have the old piping, ..

IDK, guess I'll watch some videos , I don't want to use Piping. ..

Your thoughts please. ..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have no clue about upholstering I guess they put piping to make it look good? Maybe that's what was in style back then

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched a guy make his piping from scratch on u-tube, . I just took two scrap peice and stitched them together, and I could not pull them apart.

and on my seat I did not leave enough room for a double-stitch on front . ..I think I will just sew it and double the stitch on the back. ..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it is working just fine without any piping (piping is a type of trim or embellishment) and I don't want any kind of embellishment or ruffles in my Mustang. dissapointed.gif .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Like I said it was just the "look" from the time era, my entire car has that piping on all the seats... and its looking good! The material is a type of plastic? If it is don't let it dry up, it'll crack like leather if it does from my personal experiences lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had to hand-stitch the back corners , got all of the steel wire attached for hog-rings, ... I have found thread showing in two places but it's not that noticeable and I'm happy with it. I should get the hog rings attached tonight, It's a beautiful day I'm going outside. ..

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had to add some silky cotton in the corner' s to keep them puffed out, but I absolutely love it, the seat part is done. . I hope the "Backrest " is easier. .

NOTE : I'm not a professional just a woodworker, this took me about four days, 3 to 4 hours a day to complete. .

Mike

Attachments

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Looks extremely good to me. Wish I had that skill, I guess you learn when you try. Excellant. Maurice

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Maurice, your kind words mean a lot to me. .plus1..gif

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, just removed the Backrest from the 85 Mustang, I will not be showing as many pictures, some before and after. .unless requested.

BACKREST: PHOTO Of front, back, and damage after 30 years.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The bottoms look awesome :) is that electric tape or duck tape on the backrest?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts