Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4BL, with a 650 Holley. Its been sitting up for a couple years so I drained the gas tank and put fresh gas in it and replaced the spark plugs, starter, battery, and starter solenoid, and changed the oil and filter. I can only start it up if I pour some gas into the vent tubes to prime the carb and only keep it running if I spray carb cleaner in it. Once I stop spraying it dies. I am assuming that its not getting gas... So do you think the fuel pump is out? Also I believe there might be a short somewhere, if the 2 are linked in any way. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The fuel pump on an '85 is mechanical and it would be gummed up from sitting for so long. You can check to see if it's delivering enough fuel by removing the fuel line from the carb and using hose to re-route it to a bottle of some kind. Crank the engine and see how much fuel it pumps into the bottle: it should be close to a pint if you crank it for 30 seconds (two 15-second intervals so the starter doesn't overheat). If is delivers sufficiant volume, you then need to check the pressure; it should be at least 6 psi from the stock pump.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Very possible it could be the pump, they don't cost much so why not replace it because it'd probably be a good thing to do anyway considering the age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.