Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am a first time visiter and was wondering if someone could answer
this for me ,how many 1985 mustang cobra t roof 5 litre cars were made ,i have been told by people there wasnt many made like the one i have just bought in 2007. thankyou

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There was no factory Cobra model for the 1985 Mustang.
If you have Cobra emblems or decals they have been added by an individual or by a dealer as some special appearance package.

If you have the T5 Borg-Warner 5-speed manual, your 5.0 liter Mustang V8 came with 210 hp at 4,600 rpm and 265 lb-ft at 3,400 rpm. But if you have an automatic trans, your 5.0 came with 180 hp. (The 1986 5.0 Mustang changed from 4-barrel carb to fuel injection and dropped to 200 hp with either transmission.)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ALL Mustang GTs from '84 through '92 sold in Canada were called "Cobra GT". That's right from Ford, in their sales brochures, on their windows stickers, and a decal stating such on the rear hatchback liftgate.

1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - 1982-1993 Canadian-Export Mustang GT's

However many '85 GTs there were sold in Canada is how many '85 Cobra GTS there are. My guess is it's not all that "rare". Nobody at this time can tell you how many Mustangs - of any year, or with any trim level, or engine, etc. - were made with a T-roof.

·
Registered
45,406 Posts
Yup, all Canadian Mustangs were labeled Cobra GT's. It's in name only, there was no real difference between the Canadian and American version in anything other than decals. And about the t top numbers, best thing I could say is see if you can find out anything from your dealership. I mean dig up some literature on it, if the Canadian dealerships are like in America, they only sell cars and know nothing about them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
EagleAutosports said:
Yup, all Canadian Mustangs were labeled Cobra GT's.
Not all Mustangs. Only '84-'92 GTs. Not anything before '82 and not anything after '92.

EagleAutosports said:
And about the t top numbers, best thing I could say is see if you can find out anything from your dealership. I mean dig up some literature on it, if the Canadian dealerships are like in America, they only sell cars and know nothing about them.
T-roof production numbers are unknown at this time. And they may never be known. T-roof conversions were not done at or by Ford anyway. They were done by Cars and Concepts, for Ford. Cars and Concepts doesn't exist anymore. They've been bought and merged several times over. Only hope for production numbers is for Marti Auto to sift through, database, and have available all of the production data they acquired from Ford and other sources. Right now all they have ready to sell info on is through the '79 model year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting i never knew ford hired help for the t-roof cars.

I have emailed them about production numbers and what was the last year for t-tops.. They have no production numbers on T-Top, the simple reason is that t-top cars were never listed separate from hatchback and etc.

So yeah production numbers may never be known. There is an 87-88 t-top in my town an 83 t-top and a 87 t-top.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Cars and Concepts did all Fox-chassis Mustang T-roof and convertible roof conversions for Ford. Ford did in-house convertible roof conversions starting with the '94 model year.

T-roof production = '77-'78, '81-early '88

The three actual '79 Indy 500 Pace Cars also had a T-roof.

·
Registered
45,406 Posts
Glad you cleared that up, I must've looked at it wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou to all the people who replied to my questions and helpfull info. just to let anyone out there know ,this is my dream car ,never had much as i grew up,friends had alot more so i take great pride in what i have and at this moment would not sell it for a million dollars,if any one has any pics,on the changes they made on a 85 mustang feel free to e-mail me please ,i plan on getting it painted (ocean blue mixed with sky blue colour)A relation told me 1 day u will never have a great car (1957chevy ) he had ,BUT i proved him WRONG i got 1 a(1985 must. cobra ) yesssss cant wait till spring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cars and Concepts did all Fox-chassis Mustang T-roof and convertible roof conversions for Ford. Ford did in-house convertible roof conversions starting with the '94 model year.

T-roof production = '77-'78, '81-early '88

The three actual '79 Indy 500 Pace Cars also had a T-roof.
Are you saying that 77'-78' had t tops?:scratchchin

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Yup, all Canadian Mustangs were labeled Cobra GT's. It's in name only, there was no real difference between the Canadian and American version in anything other than decals. And about the t top numbers, best thing I could say is see if you can find out anything from your dealership. I mean dig up some literature on it, if the Canadian dealerships are like in America, they only sell cars and know nothing about them.

Depending on what State you live in, in this Country your Title might be marked GT/COB, it causes some people to get all freaked out into thinking they have some secret Mustang!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Are you saying that 77'-78' had t tops?:scratchchin
I might be able to post the "sticker" prices and option code later.
The regular production option code for the T-roof was "21D" for the Fox. It was probably the same for the Mustang II.

From the Mustang Red Book by Peter C. Sessler:

1977 Mustang II Prices
T-roof convertible option (2+2 & Mach 1)
2+2 with Cobra $587
all others $629

1978 Mustang II Prices
T-roof convertible option
2+2 without Cobra II, Mach 1 $689
2+2 with Cobra II $647

·
Registered
45,406 Posts
Yeah, you're right shaker, that designation's not exactly clear is it?

Cool car by the way. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think Ford did it for a Trademark Reason so they would not lose the Cobra Name to another Company.
Probably.

If I remember correctly, Caroll Shelby had either lost or given up the right to use that moniker. Ford had "Cobra" options/packages for the Mustang, from '76 through '81, and called all GTs sold in Canada "Cobra GT" from '84 through '92, and finally a Cobra model every year except one, since '93.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.