Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just got a 85 gt, auto trans,and it just doesnt seem to want to shift ,when i drive it takes very long to shift to next gear,stays in 2nd till i punch it and then shifts at about 60 mph,kill my mpg around town just wont shift,any help is great thx

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!......have you checked the modulater valve,sounds like it is bad....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the welcome,lol i am not to bright i gonna need a repair book for the car anyway,but will google that thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant find anything on it?where is it lol,or do you have a pic of it
:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have you checked your fluid level? too low may cause this.
Or, is there a vaccum line on your tranny? If it has one and
it is leaking or disconnected that could be your problem.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Both could cause that problem. I would say have the transmission serviced, and then go from there. When was the last time the fluid was changed?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!......have you checked the modulater valve,sounds like it is bad....
AODs dont have modulator valves. ill put money on a sticky governor valve.

does it shift manually?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it seems to shift when it wants,the fluid looks new the guy who had it kept it in good condition he was very fussy,i plugged a hose back in on the carb and it seems to work better more often,at least it shifts more,but i still gotta find a book for it,seems i gonna need it,wish i knew more about car repair,i thank you all for the help
it seems to not wanna shift after i punch it,then gets sticky and not wanna shift

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Might need a new governor. They operate on vacuum (if I'm not mistaken) and could get sticky.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Maybe it has a stall or shift kit try manually shifting it, Other than that it sounds like a ****** up Valve

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Might need a new governor. They operate on vacuum (if I'm not mistaken) and could get sticky.
no vacuum goes into an AOD. the governors are hydraulically operated in conjunction with TV pressure.

remove the extension housing and the governor valve. rectangular thing held onto the output shaft with a single external snap ring. there will be a metal ball that holds it in place, do not lose it. once removed, it should make noise similar to a marble in a tube rolling around when you shake it. (the valve) if it does not make any noise, then you need to clean it. best to get the book, or if you can remember how it goes back then go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx, maybe i best of takin it to a shop,i havnt to much skill in fixing tranies
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
STOP driving it until you get the problem diagnosed and fixed. If you don't stop driving it, you may be in for a total transmission overhaul, if it doesn't have to be done already anyway. At the very least the transmission fluid (and probably the filter too) will have to be changed.

Check the TV (throttle valve) linkage at the throttle body...make sure the fitting hasn't fallen out or isn't loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.