Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok another exhaust question. Its got the stock exhaust with 40 series flows on it (can you believe an 85 gt with stock exhaust). Many people think this was the year that they came out with true duals but it is not.
a.) My question is on a budget can I just remove the cats and weld in pipe or a resantor. B.) Should I use all 3 inch pipe and keep the exhaust the way it is minus cats), or would I really gain that much more by turning it into true dual exhaust, keep in mind this is a stocker and will be for a long time on my budget. Sorry for the bore, thanks for any help:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If you plan on keeping it a while, I'd say just do a full dual exhaust. You'll just need a double hump crossmember, then you can use 86-up mid pipes in either X or H.
I'd suggest keeping the pipe diameter to 2 1/2 inch, unless you have a big stroker, supercharger or turbo, or a nitrous system because a 3 inch system on a stock engine or one with mild bolt ons will cause it to lose bottom end torque. 3 inch is too much unless you're over 450-500 hp. 2 1/2 can support up to 500.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks eagle, I know you would at least answer me, yeah I should probably just do it right, its hard though when money's tight. so if a get an off-road cat (mac) double hump crossmember, then a cat back exhaust 86-93, an exhaust shop should be able to weld everything up with out any major fab.........thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.