Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 1992 mustang Lx that previously had the 2.3L duel plug motor in it. I swapped it out with a 2.3L turbo 1985 svo motor. I repined computer and did ignition side wiring by stingerperformance's write up. im confident withing my work with that.

Heres the car:
35lb injectors
255lph BBK fuel pump
custom exhaust manifold
t3/t4 hybrid turbo.
little bit of head work recently done.

engine is getting gas. plenty and sets at awesome PSI
spark is strong and dead on as well as timing
no vacume leaks or anything.

Im having the issue that the motor will fire, and then fall and die. sometimes it will fight and hold a crappy putter at an idle for like 5 seconds then die. over. and over. and over again.

I used the IAc valve off my stock 2.3L which stinger said will work fine. i have the Svo tps on it. has sat for 2 years before starting but sounds healthy from what i can tell considering compression is better then factory.

any help would be appreciated. this is my everyday driver and ive been tingering with this problem for 2 weeks! its almost ready to go help!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would put it on TDC number one, pull the plug out of the timing belt cover, and make sure belt did not slip.

I am getting ready to drop a turbo coupe engine in a 2.3L hatch back and I found this write up a little easier to follow. Plus there are lots of links to great diagrams too:

Turbo Coupe Motor Swap for 85 Mustangs

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i didnt because i the LA3 runs with the map sensor am i correct? I had this motor in my ranger with the map sensor and it hauled ass.

·
Registered
563 Posts
So wait your saying you had the SVO motor in your ranger?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you check your Cam timing?
Also what is your compression #'s?
What if you hold the gas to the floor can you keep it running?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off i would like to say thanks for the help guys. I now have the car starting and settling at an idle then ding right after. about 2-5 seconds.

I thought it through and i did change the map sensor out to replace the BPS sensor.

the cam timing is dead on as well as the distrib. it sounds nice and quick in timing when it fires. it just quits. sometimes the motor fights a little.

the gas petal has no effect on anything unless i hit it while im starting it and then the rpms would increase when it fires. but then nothing at all.

any help would be greatly appricated. And well my friend had it in my ranger. then i sold it back to him he took it out. and buy the time I wanted to buy it back for the mustang we didnt remember the swap very much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you replaced the Iac motor? and did you ever set the base idle?
Also does your car run better According to the temp outside?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i havnt I actualy used the one off of my NA 2.3L. I head it would work so didnt think much of it. and the tps is from the 2.3L also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive read through all that stuff at one time or another. ill go back through them. but can i use the IAc and the tPS from my NA 2.3L on this motor? i have an Svo tps that i can wire into it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have searched around and I think this is the best site for swapping a turbo motor into the Mustang:

http://www.flemworld.com/slug/howto/8790T.html

Very easy and complete information along with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

The maps sensor needs to have the vacuum hose pulled with its electrical connection left as is. That is how it is run on a turbo car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's a 95% chance your problem lies with the VAM. If your VAM is broke, not wired correctly (most likely), etc that will cause exactly the problem you describe. Triple check your VAM to make sure all the wiring is right and it's connected like it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my vam is not hooked up at all. its almost ready. but the engine should start without it and hold an idle! ****** or not. right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
wrong... my car wont run with out a vam...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so i have a few other questions. does anyone have a picture of the pigtail that goes onto the 3' vam? I have the vam but i couldnt find the pigtail so im just gonna use aligator clips for the time being. but i need to know what colors went were in the VAM please help

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.