Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I've accomplished one of my life dreams, which is owning a mustang :) Last week, I bought a used 1986 5.0 mustang convertible and the original owner told me during the test drive that the catalytic converter rattles sometimes but then goes away. I was informed that this means the converter is in fact done for and needs to be replaced. I don't need to replace the WHOLE exhaust system correct? And is there just one converter or two? I'm a novice in the automotive world so bear with me. Any advice at all would help. I plan on completely restoring her, inside and out. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
87 Posts
u dont have to change the whole exhaust and stock comes with 4 cats. u can go with H or X pipe without cats for better performance.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would say take your car and see if you can pass emissions with the stock H-pipe. If yes you can than go out and buy yourself a 2 1/2 in" off road H or X pipe

And if you do not pass I think you might get away with two cats but you are in Cali. so you may very well need all 4 cats to pass

And welcome to AFM :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say take your car and see if you can pass emissions with the stock H-pipe. If yes you can than go out and buy yourself a 2 1/2 in" off road H or X pipe

And if you do not pass I think you might get away with two cats but you are in Cali. so you may very well need all 4 cats to pass

And welcome to AFM :bigthumbsup
Looks like I need to do a smog test before I take my next step. Thanks you guys! :bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts