Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my teal 94 v6 that ive been wanting to swap a v8 into since i bought the car, well i just bought a complete drive-train from a 1986 mustang gt. i have the whole car.

the car has a H.O. 302, 5 speed, and the 8.8 axle.

will all of this drop into my v6? and will the computer plug into my v6's factory harness?

what problems will i fight when i do this swap?

if i decide to use the intake off a 60's H.O. 289 what do i need to do to get the fuel pressure down to about 5 pounds? if i put an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on the car will it burn up my fuel pump?

would it be easier to go fuel injected since i have everything, or go carburated? will the exhaust off the 86 fit on my 94? dose my 94 have the holes to put the top bracket for the little 4 link setup they use on the 8.8?

i also have a thred in the v8 fourm so hopefully i will figure this stuff out, untill then i will be tearing apart this fox body

thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I was going to tell you to read the sticky, then come back, but you are asking intelligent enough questions that I think you are capable of this swap and don't seem to be another teenage dreamer. Lol

With what you have this is a pretty ideal swap. 94 95 V6 use the same 5.0 k member. I think the harness is the same but the pinout and the eec are very different. The least headache would be to source a 94 95 gt harness and computer so that everything plugs right in. Those computers have some quirks though. Many people swapped theirs to fox A9L. Since you are pulling all the V6 harnesses out, you could use a complete fox harness and computer if you can read schematics and figure out how to hook up the hots and grounds. I would not go through all that hassle for a carb or speed density setup. You WILL want to do mods and mass air will respond well even without tuning.
You will need a standalone fan control if using fox eec.

The fox T5 is 5/8 shorter but it will work fine. just elongated the x member trans mount holes and a driveshaft spacer for extra insurance. Fox headers will fit fine. Only diff is they are not setup for external egr that came on 94 GTs. The fox midpipe is about an inch shorter and won't fit the trans x member correctly. Fox 8.8 is the same housing that came on 94-98 GTs. You V6 axles and brakes will swap right onto the fox 8.8.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the amazing information:bigthumbsup

Idk whats going on with my computer but it's not posting these, so i will try again lol.

Since the 5speed from the fox is shorter would the v6 driveshaft be any closer, or would it be better just to get the spacer?

The exhaust i can chop and put a chunk of pipe into or a longer muffler so that wont be a problem:)

As for the MAF sensor, the 5.0 that i have dose not have one, would the sensor from my v6 work or should i try finding one from a 94/5 v8 also?

I am terrible with computers(and i love a good old chrome air breather under the hood) that's why i was asking about restricting the fuel pump, that and i don't want to tear apart the engine any sooner than i have to, to get a mechanical pump to work.

The axle will be the easy part, as long as it has 28 spline axles like my v6 dose. if not i will be running some 4-bolt rims on the back until i can buy some new axles haha

As for the eec, since i have the whole car should i just take the harness and all out of the fox? then hook up separate gauges since the fox ones i don't have and the v6 ones are electric?

If i do go with the carb, how can i get the sending unit to keep working along with the fuel pump if i swap harnesses? or would that part still work fine?

sorry for all the questions, this will be my first efi-efi or efi-carb swap. carb-carb is so easy compared to this :smilie

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
All 79-04 driveshaft the tubes are the same length. With the shorter trans the yoke will be engaged less. Some say it's fine but most use the spacer to be safe.

The 94 95 V6 and GTs both use the same maf 70mm. It has a nearly identical calibration as the smaller fox maf. You can add mass air to a non maf fox harness by splicing a few pins but you would still need a mass air eec. They 95 guys that have converted to fox eec I'm not sure what happened with the gauges but I'm pretty sure they will still work as long as you rewire everything. Maybe you can find more info here or corral the 94 95 section. Back in the day pro-m sold a conversion harness for this exact purpose call the PIH or performance improvement harness. The electric speedo sensor will fit right in the fox T5. This is why I'm saying just buy a 95 harness. They are easy to find and cheap. I'm not sure if you need to swap dash harness and gauges. If you read the sticky there is a guy who recently converted a 95 V6 to a 95 gt using a donor car. Maybe he can help.

Both axles are indeed 28 spine.

Honestly I think you will really be selling youself short with a carb setup. Did those old school setups even make 200 at the flywheel? With efi you can do exhaust mods, cheap explorer gt40 intake, roller rockets, cold air, and get good gains without ever messing with jets or points. Way better reliability and mileage.

I am clueless on the carb fuel system tech sorry.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand the driveshaft now lol, was a little confused but i will go with the spacer just to be on the safe side.

the h.o. 289 (of 1964.5) put out between 200-300hp i think, but all i will be using is the intake, and prolly a 600 cmf carb. i will keep the electronic ignition by using my factory harness(if all goes as planned) if not i will use an msd distributor and ignition set-up. points are a pain haha. in the end i hope to make at least 200 hp witch i should be able to easaly acomplish with a 4bbrl and exhaust.

i just want something to smoke the tires and look/be fun to drive, no power house cause then i couldn't keep gas in it (or tires on it haha)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
me too, i have no idea of what i will actually make hp or toque but it should be enough for a little mustang to be fun and reliable everyday :)

once again i thank you a lot on the information you have given me, i believe you answered all of my questions. but if i have more i will be sure to try and get ahold of you again. i will take as meany pictures of the swap as i go allong with it but i have my incles charger project in the garage at the moment, so it may be a while haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts