Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the story.

I just got my car back after sitting for 2 years. They replaced the current transmission with a transmission I have with 168,000 miles on it. 3 speed Automatic. They also installed a used timing chain cover and a waterpump that I bought two years ago new.

Once on the road, the heat management is unreal. I've driven it with the temp gauge at 50% (Inbetween R and M in NORMAL) and then other times it goes to 90%. (At the end of the L in NORMAL). This seems to partially reflect the temperature of the outside air. Here is an example.

My car stalled in the middle of Traffic and wouldn't fire up (starter worked good). I replaced the rotor and cap and still nothing. I repalced the ignition modulator and it fired up. It was hot that day, 95 degrees. The entire way home the gauge read 90% hot. I was afraid I was going to blow it up, but I had to get it home (I know, go ahead and yell at me).

Anyway, it sat over night and I took it to work the next day. Early int he morning temps were 55-65 degrees and I drove it hard to work (getting up to 3500 RPM). It heated up halfway there and never went past 50%. Perfect temp. Is it because of the heat outside?

My clutch fan seems fine. No bends and it has resistance turning when the car is off. Anything else I should test?

The top hose seemed to have little pressure a few weeks ago, when I checked it when running fine, the host had alot of pressure.

I put a brand new thermostat in two weeks ago. Little improvement.

Very confused, save my car!
Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
cngodles said:
Ok, here is the story.

I just got my car back after sitting for 2 years. They replaced the current transmission with a transmission I have with 168,000 miles on it. 3 speed Automatic. They also installed a used timing chain cover and a waterpump that I bought two years ago new.

Once on the road, the heat management is unreal. I've driven it with the temp gauge at 50% (Inbetween R and M in NORMAL) and then other times it goes to 90%. (At the end of the L in NORMAL). This seems to partially reflect the temperature of the outside air. Here is an example.

My car stalled in the middle of Traffic and wouldn't fire up (starter worked good). I replaced the rotor and cap and still nothing. I repalced the ignition modulator and it fired up. It was hot that day, 95 degrees. The entire way home the gauge read 90% hot. I was afraid I was going to blow it up, but I had to get it home (I know, go ahead and yell at me).

Anyway, it sat over night and I took it to work the next day. Early int he morning temps were 55-65 degrees and I drove it hard to work (getting up to 3500 RPM). It heated up halfway there and never went past 50%. Perfect temp. Is it because of the heat outside?

My clutch fan seems fine. No bends and it has resistance turning when the car is off. Anything else I should test?

The top hose seemed to have little pressure a few weeks ago, when I checked it when running fine, the host had alot of pressure.

I put a brand new thermostat in two weeks ago. Little improvement.

Very confused, save my car!
Thanks,
Clint

have you checked your water pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's only 2 years old. I bought it new. It isn't leaking and it spun feely before it was re-installed 4 weeks ago.

I'm somewhat avoiding removing it and checking it as getting it to seal properly was the root of my original problems.

Non AC model.

Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Have you checked your timing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is on my list tonight. I took the car out of a time slightly when I replaced the modulator and had to turn the distribitor to get it to stay running in gear.

It was still doing this before I knocked it out of time. Still, it may not have been in good time then either.

It also turns out there is some sort of oil leak below where the oil filter sits (a line). I think it's a line, it's got everything covered in oil, so I have to degrease the area, start the car, and check for leaks.

I drove the car today and it started out ok, but the final 15 miles of the 30 mile trip, it went between the A and L in NORMAL, back down between M and A, then decided to stay in the middle of the A.

Thanks,
Clint

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
cngodles said:
Yes, that is on my list tonight. I took the car out of a time slightly when I replaced the modulator and had to turn the distribitor to get it to stay running in gear.

It was still doing this before I knocked it out of time. Still, it may not have been in good time then either.

It also turns out there is some sort of oil leak below where the oil filter sits (a line). I think it's a line, it's got everything covered in oil, so I have to degrease the area, start the car, and check for leaks.

I drove the car today and it started out ok, but the final 15 miles of the 30 mile trip, it went between the A and L in NORMAL, back down between M and A, then decided to stay in the middle of the A.

Thanks,
Clint
The variance indicates you may have an air pocket circulating in your system . . . Have you had it pressure tested?

And you've checked the fluid, for color, age, etc., of course?

You didn't remove the fan shroud, did you?

Could still be the timing. Or the thermostat, or the water pump.

I went through 2-3 waterpumps on my '68 before I bought one that actually worked from Western Auto . ..

took me more than a couple of thermostats, too. Heck, I went through 4 starters one day in Waters Hall's parking lot at K-State before I found one that worked.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
cngodles said:
Any way to bleed the cooling system?
Yeah, but it's highly dangerous!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great news!

this morning, I was on my way to work and for the first time the gauge quickly climbed to 99% hot. I was worried so I pulled off the road in neutral, turned the car off, and sat for no longer than 30 second. I started the car back up and it only went to 65% hot. Well, no large 3.8L hunk of metal is going to cool down that fast. The stupid senser must be wrong.

I took it to the auto parts store, bought a new one for under 4 bucks, installed it and took my car for a little ride. 10 minutes later and many many revs later, it did the unimaginable, it never went about 50%! That's the first time ever. Now, this may be a fluke, but I think I fixed it!

At least I'm happy now. I'm going to take it for another 4 mile jaunt and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions kscoyote! :eyepoppin

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
cngodles said:
Great news!

this morning, I was on my way to work and for the first time the gauge quickly climbed to 99% hot. I was worried so I pulled off the road in neutral, turned the car off, and sat for no longer than 30 second. I started the car back up and it only went to 65% hot. Well, no large 3.8L hunk of metal is going to cool down that fast. The stupid senser must be wrong.

I took it to the auto parts store, bought a new one for under 4 bucks, installed it and took my car for a little ride. 10 minutes later and many many revs later, it did the unimaginable, it never went about 50%! That's the first time ever. Now, this may be a fluke, but I think I fixed it!

At least I'm happy now. I'm going to take it for another 4 mile jaunt and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions kscoyote! :eyepoppin
Cool Beans, man! Glad to hear it was something simple!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.