Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Mustang LX 2.3L with an automatic transmission. Yes the engine with 88 horsepower. After this winter I want to put the 2.3L turbo engine with a manual transmission. I have no idea what im doing or how to do anything. I have no idea what to get or how much it would cost to do this. If anyone could help me out by telling me what parts exactly i need to get to make this successful that would be very much appreciated thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
To put it simply, you need an engine, transmission, driveshaft and computer... There are a few details that you can easily look up on this site. Search for a thunderbird turbo swap and auto-to-manual swap... That'll get the ball rolling. If you have any detailed questions, come back and we'll see if we can help.

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup ps: It's good that you are at least thinking about it! HAPPY READING!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you very much. Do you think you could tell me how much you think this will all cost to do about. Also I just found a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 Speed. Do you think i'd be able to swap that engine right in to my 86 mustang lx?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thank you very much. Do you think you could tell me how much you think this will all cost to do about. Also I just found a 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 Speed. Do you think i'd be able to swap that engine right in to my 86 mustang lx?
Yeppers, bolts right up... The only problem is you need the computer for it too and then you will have to "play around" with the wiring from the mustang to hook it up to the new computer.

This site is a God-send: Stinger Performance 2.3 Tech Mainpage

It will tell you everything you need to know, what you need, how to do it, and they also sell stuff too (although their stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!).

As far as price goes, you can spend as much or as little as you see fit. If you are happy with a stock engine with lots of miles on it, bolt that bad boy up for an extra 100 ponies. But if you really want to make something of your Mustang, you can spend >$5000 easy on performance parts. At least you won't have to pay for labour!

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Could i use the computer from the thunderbird or no?
Yeppers, if it made the engine run in the thunderbird, it'll make it run in anything. The computer is probably the LA2 or LA3 if it was a 5-speed car.

It might also be easier (or less technical) to swap wiring harnesses as well. I am not sure how much of a hassle it is to take a harness out and rewire another one... I can only imagine that it would be a pain and that you would never be able to do it with the dash on... I am sure someone can chime in on that assumption.

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need HELP! I have a 1986 Mustang LX 2.3L auto.
Problem: No fire (won't run)
I have fuel, spark, timing, and air flow. But i cant figure out what is keeping it from firing. Any suggestions?

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
rider 383. Start a new thread be glad to answer your question. It just gets real confusing answers 2 people on same thread. Also welcome. Maurice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.