Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here the scoop in short form:

I bought a 1986 mustang gt convertible, with a few mods including the nose from (i think) a 1987 mustang just for fun, sunny days.

Car was working great for the first few weeks, other then a quiet "scream" at higher rpms...which i was told might be bc of a newer different throttle body. But dont quote me on that.

Anyways, on a quiet cruise one day, i was on the highway and started smelling brake dust. I had the top down so i assumed it was the driver in front of me. I stopped for a couple of hours to eat with the family. Coming off of a red light making a red turn i started out in first gear and the car made a lurching CLUNK. All of a sudden my gear shift started vibrating and bucking. Second gear was the same but more faint. I limped home and parked it.

So, on a cold start the engine sounds great. No vibration until i switch to first gear and let out the clutch a little. Thats all iv done. I had it towed to the repair man and he didnt have time to look at it but he started it and reved it and he heard the "tap tap tap tap" sound. He immediately said he wasnt sure but it could be a main bearing!! OMG. I hope he wasnt saying that just to get more money out of me. But what could i look for or listen for? The engine sounds perfect until i mess with the gearshift so i REALLY REALLY hope i just burned a clutch or something like that. He said he would be able to look at it in a few days so id like to have more knowledge on this.

Anyone have a clue? Sorry for the long story im just worried bc iv always like the Fox body convertible and i dont want to haul to the junkyard only a month later!!

Thx :)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If it doesn't have four headlights the nose is from another model. May be an engine mount or trans mount has broken. Could also be damage inside the clutch ie throw out bearing, cracked flywheel etc. As for the tapping, did you check the oil level? The tap could be from low oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup it definitely has the nose from the 1987-1992 mustang. But okay good, ill take ANY of those other problems over something deep in the engine! Yup it has oil, i checked when i bought it. Sorry, the tap tap tap noise, was more of a metalicy CLANK CLANK CLANK sound. I sounds like a broken tooth on some kind of gear (yes i know thats not correct) but thats what it sounds like. And the clank rate is about 2 per second.
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'm guessing the burning smell was your clutch. I would start there but of course this is hard to diagnose over the internet from Tennessee to South Dakota.:gringreen

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the brake smell you were smelling was probably your clutch, hope so. the clanking noise sounds more like a transmission problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
take the tranny out and inspect the clutch and the pressure plate that sound is very easily the pressure plate cracking and if so do not rev it or run it until you check it all out i have seen these let go and launch parts thru the floor and into the dash your feet your legs and the console be very careful i had an allison in a dump truck have the plate crack and instantly sounded like a train under the truck , shut it down in time and the pressure plate was cracked and ready to start disintegrating

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM SOLVED!
Thanks Mello and everyone else. Thats exactly what the issue was. The clutch burned and then the repair man said i needed to replace something else minor in the transmission. So $350 later I should be good to go! Hope this helps someone else :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts