Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got the ignition box off of a 1985 5.0 carb my cfi v6 coil and my distributer off of a 1980 351w. I wired it all up like my wiring diagrams and all the websites say but when I pull the spark plug out and set it on one of the shock bolts I don't see any spark. My engine doesn't start I am waiting till next week for my gas line connecters to get here I put just a bit in the carb thinking maybe it would kick over but nothing just around and a around. Maybe I wired it wrong yet? If I understood the concept of the ignition I might be able to wire it but since I don't I am just guessing off the internet!

Help! Please! and thank you

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Start with making sure the ignition wiring is connected properly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it! But now my starter solenoid gets fer real hot at the starter post. Wonder y that is?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got it! But now my starter solenoid gets fer real hot at the starter post. Wonder y that is?
When does it get hot? While cranking/right after or at all times (before cranking)?

You said you got it, so you have spark now?
Firing order is correct? Timing? Since you have spark, you can at least get the timing about right from cranking it.

Are you all set with the ignition from the 85? I have an *% and could try helping you with whatever you need.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had the idea right for wiring it but when I soldered it I got the wires backwards and just messed it up. So now it sparks off the coil real good. Haven't tryed just a spark plug. I need the set my timing and bolt down the carb. I got my gas line connecters today and 5 of the 6 aren't what I wanted. O well I broke the end off my clutch fork hold down. Is there anyway to change the hold downs or just have to find a new fork?

·
Registered
552 Posts
hey

if i have any real advise to give someone about 351w ignition
here it is:

I was in the same boat you were last week.
went on ebay, spent 74$ with shipping for an HEI

you put it on, run the battery wire and tach.. DONE
take your ignition module and trash it.. tear all that wiring out and TRASH IT

one battery wire from the key
one tach wire

Thats it. starts better now, runs better now, revs quicker now

its like a msd coil, ignition box, distrubutor... all in the distributor

Its awesome!! only seen the DUI ones on some drag cars, and now i know the duraspark is WAAYYY outdated lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone else using this HEI setup?
Simple, clean and gets rid of more crap from under the hood!

I was checking it out and of course I have my doubts about some ebay sellers, if you wouldn't mind sending me a msg with who you got yours from chattanooga, (if you think it's quality) I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anyone else using this HEI setup?
Simple, clean and gets rid of more crap from under the hood!

I was checking it out and of course I have my doubts about some ebay sellers, if you wouldn't mind sending me a msg with who you got yours from chattanooga, (if you think it's quality) I would appreciate it.

Pm'd

My ignition module was on the fritz again, already replaced it once.
and the coil kinda... blew up lol yea oil came out, and the bottom was Swole

SO i threw it all away, lol...

you can get NICE hei setups, the NICE ones are like 400$ and i think the proform brand is like 175$ still worth it

the 75k race coil doesnt lose not 1 volt until 9,500 rpm

and the 50k volt voil i got wont loose a volt at all until 7,500rpm

my 351w revs faster, idles and starts better, and a LOT BETTER gas mileage

it improved MPG by a few, no joke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.