Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 mustang gt lately i have noticed the car cutting out while driving and it picks right back up it does not matter if you are on a hill or level ground. I am new to the mustang and i am not sure as to where to begin looking for what could cause this does anyone know where to begin.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
id look at your spark plug wires to start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new set of MSD plug wires,cap and rotor button on it that i bought from summit racing a couple of months ago but will check them out anyway. It acts like the motor completely cuts out for a split second and picks right back up. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
my 86 gt does the same thing too. dont matter up or down hill or level ground. usually when i am cruising at steady speed. new tune up including fuel filter. sorry to jump in thread but i would like to know also.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If the distributor is stock, I would replace the ignition pickup inside the distributor. It's a $20 part at Auto Zone and when they malfunction the engine can act like what you describe.
If it is the problem and it's not replaced, the problem will go from cutting out intermittently to the engine cutting off completely; it'll eventually fail and leave you stranded. The time they malfunction is usually after the engine warms up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.