Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 HO it is currently stock and I am essentially replacing parts as they die (I know but on a $0.00 budget and my only driver it's all I can do)

So my clutch went out on Wednesday night and I am trying to figure out the best way to replace it so that when I begin mods the clutch will compensate without replacing it again.

I have my eyes on the Spech Stage one kit but I also see an F1 Stage 3 clutch / flywheel combo within budget.

What I need to know is should I:

1. Replace only the clutch with a SPEC stage one and put in a quick throw shifter (and If i choose the quick throw which one should I put in to match the SPEC stage 1?)
  2. Replace the clutch with a SPEC stage one and the rear gears to 4.10's) and wait on the quick shift?
  3. Wait on the gears and quick throw and install the F1 Stage 3 Clutch / Flywheel combo: F1 STAGE 3 CLUTCH KIT& ALUM FLYWHEEL 86-95 MUSTANG GT:eBay Motors (item 350226491224 end time Aug-13-09 17:34:37 PDT)
  4. Knowing the clutch is required what is the difference between the SPEC stage one standard and the F1 Stage 3 Alum? if I go aluminum billet will that ensure a longer life?
I will have about $300.00 - $500.00 and will most likely have to pay to have whatever I get installed to make this work but I want to ensure I get the best upgrade for my buck while I have to replace this anyway.

Right now she is all stock

Near Future upgrade plans:

BBK Cold air
BBK Mass Air
95-96 Explorer 5.0 upper and lower intake manifold
BBK X pipes w/ converter (or equivalent)

Long term (pipe dreams / goals)
Small block 427
Performance racing Steeda suspension (or equivelant)
4 lug conversion to compensate for the 450- 500hp dream

I know that the above near future upgrades would make a stage 3 overkill but I eventually want her running high to low 10's (if not better) with just CI upgrades (no NOS no supercharger)

So basically if you were in my position with a dream of high to low 10's or better in the midst what would you suggest that will not need to be replaced again with only $400.00 to spend?

G

·
I vote #2 with a slight revision go with 3.73's

FYI...Anything you do now with your $400.00 will need to replaced if you ever get to the 10-9 sec performance level

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Option 2 would be good for the high power in the future but on a stock engine it'd drive you nuts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I vote #2 with a slight revision go with 3.73's

FYI...Anything you do now with your $400.00 will need to replaced if you ever get to the 10-9 sec performance level
Should I go mid range on the gears with a 3.90? I do alot of highway driving and from what I've read the new 3.90's are a great mid range option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replacing the Clutch

Okay so my Spec stage 1 is in route I should have it by 7 tonight I want to replace it tomorrow and will probably be doing it alone can anyone point me to a step by step I have the chiltons but I'd like some feedback from anyone who has replaced the clutch on an 86 w/ 5spd.

I am also going to pick up a new rear main because mine is leaking everywhere...

Can I please get a step by step as to how I should replace the clutch and install the new rear main (pics would be helpful if there is a site out there).

Thank you in advance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.