Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking now for 2 hours...can't find it. Any help would be great. I have my a/c and smog pump off my 86 gt...My PS has been moved up, belt goes around 5 pulleys. The tension rod is new, and so tight, I just noticed today that it has stretched my belt down so far it is laying against the belt itself which is coming up over my water pump pulley (tried to attach picture). I could get a smaller belt, but the belt now is too tight. Someone told me today if I added a smog pump delete pulley it would help stretch things back out if I went to a larger belt but I don't know. I cannot adjust the tensioner...it fits directly on with no adjustment. Any suggestions? I bought a smog pump delete w/pulley today, will be putting on when it gets here but will that really fix it? Is there anyway to get a tensioner that is not so tight? Anything you all can throw me would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
either you need a march bracket or a shorter belt. The only way to adjust the tensioner is to drill a new hole for the stationery pin that keeps it from moving if you take it off you will see the pin alot of times it can be repositioned but you will need a different belt. FRomt he looks of the pics a 1" shorter should work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I appreciate the help....my worry though is if I go to a 1/2 inch shorter belt, will it be too tight? It is really tight right now. ZERO give. I'm worried that is too hard on everything...am I worried over nothing? Drilling another hole is a great idea...I did not think of that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
don'twant to take over, but whats wrong with a flex fan? they break eazy or what? i've had one for 5yrs now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 89 Coupe, but looking at your diagram I am pretty sure unless I am looking at your photo wrong my belt is on exactly like that. My steering pump has been moved up, and my belts are just like that....the problem is the tensioner is touching the belt to itself coming off the water pump pulley. I have a smog pump delete I guess I could go on and put it on and try it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sir, I apologize, you have it wrapped the other way on the water pump pulley.....Help me man because I am not an expert....Does that not spin the water pump backwards? Is that ok? Thanks alot for the help man. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man 89 THANK YOU. I just pulled a diagram off and I think the way I had it was running it backwards. I am pretty sure my mechanic put it on backwards when he put my flex fan on that you are now recommending me get rid of. I think I need to read everything you post from here on out. I appreciate it man. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
They both spin the water pump the same way. Here is a tip. As long as the flat side of the belt(non ribbed side) is against the water pump pulley. And it is a reverse rotation pump. Then the pump will spin the correct way.

My way, just eliminates the belts passing under each other. I went through the same thing years and years ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
89---------just wanted to let you know I took your advice and problem solved. Plenty of room, even went up 2 inches on the belt. Ended up being a 72 inch because my water pump pulley is a little bigger.

A big problem solved for me at only the cost of the belt. Again, MANY THANKS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.