Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, the Mustang is my fella's 1986 GT convertible. He takes excellent care of his car and keeps it in the garage but the sleeve that attaches the convertible top to the front most frame bar has started to tear. It is such that the pull from the wind lift is going to just rip the rest if he drives with the top up right now. Has anyone ever had success replacing or repairing such a component? The sleeve has torn where the sleeve fabric is sewn to the strip that is fixed to the actual convertible top. I have thought of trying to fashion a replacement sleeve and carefully sew the new sleeve to the strip but I did not know if there was an easier/better way of approaching this problem (besides new top :))

Any ideas?

Terri

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay in getting a picture to put up. This shows the support bar location as well as the torn sleeve. Any suggestions on how to replace/repair this strip?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones here in town say they cannot do it - the strip has to be glued on and they say it gets too hot so the glue will not hold. There is a shop in California.... not real close to us though. They suggest I just try doing it myself with a sewn cotton sleeve and some contact cement. I just hate putting something on there that would not work but would prevent "the correct" solution from then working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts