Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, this is my first mustang and my first head gasket change, after getting my heads back on, I tried to put my headers on and when I go to bolt them on, if you put the first bolt in and work your way down, the header is to far forward to put in last bolt, start from the back and work forward and the header is to far back for the first bolt. I've wrestled with these damn things for about 4 hours and no luck, the headers came off the car (not put on by me), so they should go back on. I know its a truck block, if that makes a difference. Also I believe the headers are for a difrent style of 5.0 mustang because the driver side header barely touches the "steering shaft" not sure what its called :( the part that runs rite by the motor on driver side that controls your steering. The headers are BBK Shorty's. fox.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is common for them to warp especially when ran hot. You are prolly just gonna have to try and pry it in line or maybe just start the front or rear bolt ans leave it loose so u can try and start the other end by manipulating the angle. Good luck buddy just don't pry on ur plugs or anything if u have to go that route. Make sure u pry on something solid.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Theyre warped sucks brah in know for my truck there was a special tool because the manifolds always warp. Maybe try a ratchet strap to bring it together

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a set of Mac nickel's shorty equals that one of the tubes is warped. There is a combination to bolt it on, and in my case, with aluminum heads, it is important to find that combo. Use your eyes, try to find the warp, and try using a punch to line up the culprit and get the open hole started on that port. Generally, every bolt should be started by fingers and few threads, leave em loose until they are all started. I have several 7/16 wrenches, some with custom bends and box ends ground down to clear. Aiming fluid could help here. Patience, grasshopper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I think I found my problem. I was told mustang heads are symmetrical, but by the looks of it, they aren't. Is their a specific head for a specific side?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts