Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a v6 1986 mustang convertible that will not start. The battery is good, cleaned and tightened the terminal connectors and changed the starter solenoid. I haven't been able to remove the starter to have it tested. I checked the connections and hit a few times and still no go.

However since I put the new starter solenoid in I get some strange results. I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump prime, the light go on, the starter solenoid clicks and then everything goes dead. With the old starter solenoid I would turn the key, hear the pump, lights work and no click.

Now I hooked up the new starter solenoid exactly like the old one was. That's not to say the old one was hooked up right. The previous owner(s) had a lot of jimmy rigs. So who knows.

Is it possible that I do have the starter solenoid hooked up wrong with these symptoms? Could there be a short somewhere? i just don't understand why everything dies once the starter solenoid clicks. Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
have you had the starter off to test that it actually works? it sounds like theres a huge current draw when the starter motor tries to turn that kills everything else

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had done everything but that, when I finally did get the starter off I realized it was missing a cover and a pin for the actuator(I don't know if that what its called). But it was messed up. New starter fixed the whole thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts