Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Recently I have been having some difficulties shifting, especially into first. When I go to take off from a dead stop at a light the shifter will pop out, make a loud bang noise, and scares the hell out of my passengers. It started out as taking one or two tries to put it into gear. Eventually it got worse where it would pop out once in a while, and now it is not even fun to drive. I now have to usually shift into second, then put it in first. Sometimes that doesn't even work and I am forced to take off in second. I know this can't be good for my car and was wondering if anyone knows what can cause this type of behavior? As a little background my clutch was adjusted about 15,000 miles ago and at the same time the flywheel was resurfaced. I also have an aftermarket Hurst competition shifter in it...If that helps.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Popping out of gear is usually a sign of a bent shift fork, missing the shift fork pads have worn out or fallen off, or a combination of the two. The only other thing that it could possibly be is that the shifter is not properly adjusted.
The bad shifting (not wanting to go into gear) could be caused by:
- Bad/warped clutch
- Old fluid
- Clutch out of adjustment
- Time for a rebuild

I would check the clutch adjustment again just to be sure. I assume you changed the transmission fluid when you did the clutch, but if there is any moisture in the transmission it will make it shift like garbage. If those things don't get you anywhere it's probably time to have the 'box rebuilt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh boy...thanks Pony for the help. I hope the shop I brought it to changed the fluid. I am going to change this week to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts