Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok now theres this 86 mustang im intrested in, the car doesnt run but its a 5.0 lx and it has a 4 speed transmission. did the the 86 5.0 really bring a 4 speed??

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
4-speed automatic
5-speed manual

They didn't come any other way.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Be careful as to what 4 speed it is. A toploader is a better trans then the t5. An srod trans is junk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4-speed automatic
5-speed manual

They didn't come any other way.
Be careful as to what 4 speed it is. A toploader is a better trans then the t5. An srod trans is junk.
sorry about that i should of been more specific but yeah its a 4 speed manual, and whats the srod trans? the one on the 2.3?? im still learning on the fox game

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I seriously doubt it is a toploader tho.....

Check to see if the engine is an HO and what it looks like. For the tranny well your going to have to get under the car and check the numbers to be sure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a 79 Cobra 302 with the SROD box. I had to fix it several times cause it would get stuck in a gear. The shifter mechanism (rod type) was poorly designed. It was a 4 speed with 4th as an overdrive.
My t5 rocks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seriously doubt it is a toploader tho.....

Check to see if the engine is an HO and what it looks like. For the tranny well your going to have to get under the car and check the numbers to be sure.
if it did have a toploader is that a good thing or a bad thing? and bro i honestly dont know if its HO or not, i havent talked to the guy yet.

do you know the code to the toploader?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts