Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I have a stock 1986 GT mustang 5.0 with 43,000 original miles and want to do some upgrades. I know I have to change over to the mass air system, I was thinking about getting the Trick Flow Top End kit for it then someone told me that that was not going to be a good idea. Then I thought about a procharger but don't really know about that either. I also was wondering about the heads, If I keep them are they worth porting. Is it true that the 86's are bad for doing upgrades to because of the flat topped pistons? I also was wondering which gears should I change to 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well the gears have been spoken to death around here so search on that....

The flat top pistons will limit your cam selection big time but you could notch them when you are swapping heads over.

The TFS heads are a great upgrade and if you plan on doing the cam also then upgrading to a MAF system will be needed.

I would start with gears and subframe connectors and then go from there and think about your next step while you read tons of old posts.:bigthumbsup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts