Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan works when directly connected to battery. Temperature gauge not working too. Coolant sensor? Fan control module? If so, where are they and how can I check? Pictures would be helpful if available.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe the temp sensor that kicks on the fan is a different sensor then the gauge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
93 Stang-Thanks for posting the picture. I'll start by replacing that box. Is that the fan control module? Is there a way to test if it is working? One Owner-I think you are right about a different sensor. I still need help to identify that sensor. I'll keep an eye out for more advice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The fan control sensor is right on the elbow of the lower intake manifold it has a single wire hooked up to it, and the coolant temp sensor is in between the 2nd and 3rd fuel injectors right below the upper intake manifold, this one took me a while to find it points straight down in to the head. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
960 Posts
here is how you test it hook your battery staight to your fan if it works then i would start with the module from what i have heard they go out quite often then do the sensor its only like $10

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nick and 93 Stang- Thanks so much. I have heard there may be another sensor for the temp gauge. Any ideas where that may be? I haven't had the time to look at or test it yet(had minor surgery), but I am sure you have got me headed down the right track. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
3 sensors total that are related to the coolant system and their interfaces.

1. ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. This is located in the upper side of the lower intake. It "talks" to the EEC for fuel scheduling and timing control.
2. Temp Gage sensor. Located in block, driver's side, just below the oil sending unit.
3. Fan switch. Located in lower intake pointing towards strut tower. closes the electrical loop to have the relay (under steering column) energize the radiator fan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.