Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv had this 1987 Lx for about 2 years now and it has had some troubles but the news one is it eats starters and i have no clue why. so far it was one old starter whent bad a month after we got it. the new one worked fine for about a year and a half or so but then it gave out and this car has gone threw 5 or 6 starters over about 2 months they worked fine then just with out warning would not catch the fly at all or just free spin. if any one has had some problem close to this i could use the help this is my only car and my life line to finish highschool.:shigrin

oh and if i made a ton of grammar and spelling mistakes pleas forgive me i have a slight condition where i just dont get grammar and spelling can be realy hard for me.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Iv had this 1987 Lx for about 2 years now and it has had some troubles but the news one is it eats starters and i have no clue why. so far it was one old starter whent bad a month after we got it. the new one worked fine for about a year and a half or so but then it gave out and this car has gone threw 5 or 6 starters over about 2 months they worked fine then just with out warning would not catch the fly at all or just free spin. if any one has had some problem close to this i could use the help this is my only car and my life line to finish highschool.:shigrin

oh and if i made a ton of grammar and spelling mistakes pleas forgive me i have a slight condition where i just dont get grammar and spelling can be realy hard for me.

OK Cheech! Someone knows the answer Hold on I might!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Starter gets heat soaked. You have aftermarket headers. Big starter close to manifolds doesnt work when hot. Heat sheild and/or 94-95 starter fixes problem (3G)

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Also starter can come loose if not torqued right. Rock and roll till its not in the zone. See if the bolts on the starter are tight.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wow that is a lot of starters. Take spdjnk42's advice... use 94 95 starter. There was a thread about a month ago for real cheap small high torque starters for sale on a website. It got good reviews I don't recall how much I think $30 or so. Then get a heat shield to prevent heat soak.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you are leary on the cheap starter there is a good one in the classifieds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the first few were from it getting lose on me i fixed that by getting a locking nut for the bottem bolt. the new one stoped after a drive and it got realy hot wouldint work till the next morning. worked fine then just one day turned over fine no odd sounds or anything. stoped for gas and when i went to turn it back over it just free spun. ill try getting my next starter for a 94 5.0 i got a life time so there free and ill see if i can get a heat shild for it. they have been giving me f150 starters but when i check the part numbers they were the same so its gotta be the heat thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts