Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 87gt and it runs great most of the time but when its really hot out it runs crap backfiring dieing etc. the water temp says its at like 190 i was told it was a tfi mod in the dizzy but i want another opioion

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds like the ignition control module is getting hot, I had to put a fan shroud on my 86, it helped it alot but if i sit somewhere for over 5 minutes it will miss fire and want to fall on its face if i give it to much gas but once it cools down its fine, try going with a 180 thermostat and see if it keeps running like crap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has a 180 in it butwhere is that located

·
Registered
12 Posts
it should be on the front of the intake, follow the top radiator hose into the thermostat housing, take off the housing and the thermostat will be right there

·
Registered
49 Posts
ignition control module is same as TFI Module (thick film ingintion). Fox body cars are notorious for this. There is a relocation kit sold (don't know where - maybe ebay) like the ones that came stock on the SN95 5.0's. If you decide to replace yours - ensure you get one from Ford (OEM). The one's sold in local auto parts stores are crap and you'll literally get what you pay for - if so...

Maybe... you can pull yours off and clean the back side and apply more dielectric grease (liberally) then reinstall but more than likely it'll need to be replaced. Go for the cheap fix first (grease). It's located on you distributor. It is the sensor that is under the rotor with the harness connected. You'll need a star tip bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know where the thermostat is im talking about the module

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh sorry bout that, I know mine is on the driver side of the engine bay between the strut tower and the coolant reservoir

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think i might have the same problem. when my engine gets hot it seems to run horrible, with misfire and erratic idle. like if i idle somewhere for a while the idle will suddenly drop to like 550 and then just stay there, if i turn off the car and restart it the idle is fine but if i sit too long at a stop light it idles bad again and only goes back to normal after i turn it off and restart it. i have a k&n filter and i have catless straight pipe with flowmasters. everything else is stock. could it be my distributor going bad? because i hear a whining noise sometimes when i idle. im completely lost on how to fix this erratic idle and whining under the hood (pretty sure its nothing to do with the belt)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts