Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been havin trouble shifting between gears when the car is stopped. I try to go into first,second,third, fourth, or reverse, and get a hard grind. I've had to go into fifth gear first, then into first or reverse. Lately it's gotten even harder to go into fifth gear. When I'm on the road, generally no problems going between gears. But when I come to a stop, if I'm in neutral, it's virtually impossible to do as before, go into fifth gear then into first or reverse. And it has not been slipping out of gear at all.

I was hoping my fluid level was low but just checked and it was good. Also replaced the cable and it was better for a few days, but then back to how it was. So I'm thinkin the pressure plate or the disc is worn.

Any Ideas?? :scratchchin

Zac

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Where is the clutch engaging? (floor, middle, top of peddle, etc)

Steve:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Is the cable adjusted correctly?? Make shure you dont have excessive cable slack. The pedal should be firm at the top of the travel. If the pedal is loose then half way down gets hard the cable needs adjustment. If the cable is adjusted correctly the clutch will start grabbing app 1/2 way up. :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes Tom... good stuff there.

I have another timbit I would like to add... I had this exact same problem that you are having. The clutch would engage at the floor and no matter what I did it just kept on getting worse. Finally one day, the little 2" cable that goes from the bellhousing swing arm to the release bearing arm snapped! I put in a new cable and VOILA! Fixed! Now my clutch engages in the middle-upper portion of the peddle!

It is probably because old cables stretch and yours might be stretched. Go find a new one; they are a very specific part so you might have to go to a dealer or the junk-yard at worst.

But first try adjusting the cable if you can, then try my idea.

Good Luck, Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes Tom... good stuff there.

Finally one day, the little 2" cable that goes from the bellhousing swing arm to the release bearing arm snapped! I put in a new cable and VOILA! Fixed! Now my clutch engages in the middle-upper portion of the peddle!
if you need this cable you can get it at your local o'reillys for about ten dollars.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
if you need this cable you can get it at your local o'reillys for about ten dollars.
Dude, you guys in the US are so lucky... A part like that is really hard to come by up here...

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Steeve not a problem. With some quick thinking a long bolt and some fancy grinding. That little cable is fixed for life. I dont even use them any more. My theory is that if it stretches and brakes the original design has TO GO. And that is exactly what i do. So it's BYE BYE link and a solid bolt goes in. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Great Idea Tom... I love you! jk, I will definately be stealing that idea though. Gosh, if only I can think this stuff up! My replacement link should hold up for a few more months though.

Thanks for the great idea... And this way you can adjust the clutch tightness at that point as well! No need for a new cable and quadrant!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Tom, Steve,
I did notice that there is a little slack in the cable. I even noticed it when I put it in and tried to manuever the cable to take up that slack but wasn't able to. How can it be adjusted? I tried to tighten the nut on the pedal all the way, but that didn't really do any good? I replaced the 2 in cable as well, but no real difference.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
HI steve i think that car has one of those auto adjust clutch cables. All you do is pull up on the clutch pedal and it has a ratchet mechinism that auto adjusts. I am not totally shure if yours is that kind but i had one on my mustang 2.3. Steeve buddy my dad always told me not to use my head for a HAT RACK. When i was little it bugged ME. Now i totally understand what he meant. I am a NUTTY guy to most envied by all and dam good at what i do. But i am always open for suggestions and ideas. I get good ideas from all of you guys believe it or not. Because if i lived in my little bubble in this world i would not be able to share ideas with you guys and yours with ME. You guys are the best. All of us have good ideas not only me. Sometimes you have to look harder to find them but they are their. I am always second guessing engineers and trying to do them one better. I have done some real dumb things in the world of cars and i have done some great things. But the idea is to do it and see what happens. Remember the closer to the work the more efficient the mechinism is. That little cable BUGGED me since day one and i made a replacememt adjustable rod for it on day one. That setup was real bad. Believe it or not i tried a big spike with holes drilled in it to replace that cable. I drilled holes in it and tried to use the holes to adjust the clutch. Not a good idea. So the bolt arrangement worked better. PEACE BROTHERS TOM :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes, your car has the auto-adjusting clutch quadrant. believe the 87-93's all did. I also believe that 79-86's were manually adjusting.

What you must do: Pull the clutch pedal all the way up (towards the driver) with a force of at least 20lbs. Then push the clutch down to the floor (with your foot). If it does it correctly and it needed adjusting, then you should here it click. Keep on doing this repeatedly until the clutch either stops adjusting or the pedal get's itself in the right spot.

The very first time I did this I did hear one click, but every time after that, I didn't hear anything.

LederHosen DUDE, you should try Tom's method and tighten the bolt down as far as possible... that should in theory make your clutch tighter and have it engage in a more appropriate position.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Dudes,
So Steve, I replaced both cables 60 in and the 2in and didn't notice much difference. Then Tom I took your advice and tighten up the 60 inch cable, it had way to much slack in it. I started to drive it and it felt like a brand new clutch. So now the cable loosened up again from how I had rerouted it to remove the slack, so I'll have to tweek it a little more. But a least I know that this is the problem, and the clutch is fine.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Zac :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry if I go off thread a bit but I can't understand why the SVO didn't come with the hydraulic clutch the Turbo Coupe has.

I just bought a T Coupe and didn't realize they came with that. It is the smoothest shifting T-5 I have ever driven.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.