Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 87 mustang which needed a clutch cable, the cable had the rubber pushed back like it was under too much pressure. after installing a new cable, i took the car for a test drive, i made it about 1 mile down the road before the clutch pedal hit the floor, after getting the car home i found that the clutch cable was destroyed.(see picture). http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/UrbanGuerrilla_photos/ClutchCable.jpg
When i first drove the car i noticed that the clutch was a little difficult to push but i didn't think it was that bad....any ideas ?....I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with the pressure plate ?.....Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The '89 GT that I used to have had a messed up firewall rubber, I installed a new cable and within a week the rubber on the new cable at the firewall started to fall apart too. Solved the problem with a BBK quadrant, firewall adjuster and adjustable cable. The pedal was still on the stiff side but at least there wasn't any rubber at the firewall to fall apart anymore. The '88 LX that I now have has the adjustable cable(at the clutch fork) and a aluminum quadrant installed but no firewall adjuster. I like em' at the firewall for fine tuning and will install one when the trans gets pulled to install a new throw out bearing. As long as the cable is making a nice, sweeping arc from the firewall to the clutch fork there shouldn't be any binding taking place. I'd pull the trans and check the pressure plate, clutch fork and clutch fork detent ball to make sure they're all in proper order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guy's. Guess i'll go with the adjustable cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster. already have the firewall adjuster just need the other's. Thank's again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.