Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0L Convertible. Its needed a lot of love at this point just to keep running and I've still got a long way to go, among the many things on the list to get fixed is that its running rich. I'm not sure why its running rich and to be honest I'm not completly sure where to start so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because as soon as i turn my car on i can smell gasoline, i mean my clothes reek of gasoline whenever i get out of the car it runs so rich like no joke so i def know its running rich

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey man,.. I also have an 87 GT convertible. Mine was running rich as well, and without knowing your vert's condition, mods, etc, it might be difficult to narrow it down. But in my case, I had no CELs of any sort, so the way I took care of it, was to throw new parts on it. Mine is in good condition with 112K on it, but I've noticed that most sensors, etc were original. So I replaced both O2 sensors, air charge temp sensor, coolant sensor and IAC for the heck of it. That helped a ton. Now though I can still smell gas, but that is because I went to an off road H pip with Flo super 44s'. No cats. I would expect it to run richer and spew out some unburnt gas through the exhuast. But I cannot for the life of me fix my low and hunting idle on cold starts. TPS at .94v, new IAC, did the whole base idle reset procedure down to the letter twice. Still starts and it acts as there is no IAC to keep the rpm up until warm. Almost immediately it drops to 750, stays there idling smoothly for like 1-2 minutes, and then starts to hunt from 400-1000, until I can get it to settle down with the gas pedal, or just restart. Weird. But, in your case, might be the O2 sensors, other sensors, or mods? Are you still running catted H pipe, or do you have off road exhaust on? Just curious.... Might also want to run KOEO codes?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry for the double response... My stupid laptop locked up.. My bad....:worship

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey if thats your 87 in your pic mines the exact same except its got the stock rims lol and everyting on it is stock, i haven't done anything fancy to it yet, im waiting till i can get it running normally before i start dooing anything nice to it lol and ill check my o2 sensors. but yeah everything is like stock lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a good read!

Mustang Basic Maintenance and Technical Articles

the pics are from a '95 I believe. The biggest difference is the location of TPS and IAC. I have a '95 & '88 and the throttlebody looks a little different. still a good read.

I replaced my 02 sensors after a pretty good tune up. I replaced this and that and still didnt have any luck until I replaced 02 sensors. It was running rich and bucking at lower RPM's. It will do just fine WOT but loose alot at the bottom end. 02 sensors run rich on default to keep from running too lean and ruining something. That would be a good start I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.