Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of deciding what engine swap I would like to perform. I have an 1987 Mustang coupe (different than the one in the sig) that has a stock SD 5.0HO motor. I would like to get suggestions on the build materials for a 351w swap.

My goals for the car are this:
I would like to relocate keyed ignition and install a switch panel to operate electrical functions. I am also going to relocate battery and fuel cell to trunk area. I am still going to use this car as a daily driver and it will probably never see the strip. It will mainly be used as a show piece.

Here are my questions for the swap:
* what are the pro/cons of using a carb setup? EFI? I have not decided which way I'm going to go. I'm assuming a carb setup will be much easier as far as electrical wiring goes.

* I have a GT40 upper/lower in the garage, will any parts from the stock 302 assist in the efi setup?

* If efi, will 351w have to be MAF instead of SD?

* Will fuel pump need to be mechanical instead of electrical if carb setup?

* I'm assuming that ECU is obsolete and not needed with carb?

any other suggestions will be very helpful. I'm completely lost with adjusting carbs for peak performance, but I think that is the best way to go....agree?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Here are a couple links that should help you:

351 Swap Information

351 Engine Swap - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

I would definitely recommend staying with the EFI setup. I have not done my 351 swap yet, but from what I've been told going to a 302 to a 351 is a "plug and play" as far as electronics go. For 87 however, I would definitely convert to a mass air system if you haven't done this already.
Your GT40 upper intake will work, but the lower won't. 351 lower intakes are ~1" wider. There are 351 lowers out there but they're getting harder to find and more expensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what lower should i be looking for so that it is compatible with my gt40 upper?

I'm not looking to do anything wild - so would the stock 351 heads (with a little work) be sufficient? if not, suggested aftermarket heads?

Cam - I would like something a little rough but streetable. Anyone have any youtube videos with cam idles?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Try to pick up some gt40 or gt40p heads. They will still be a bit restrictive but are better than the stock heads by a long shot and will give you plenty of low end torque. The lower you need to make your gt40 upper fit is a gt40 lower from the 93 or so lightning. they are pretty hard to come by and you can consider yourself fortunate to find one for less than 200$. I personally prefer comp cams camshafts due to their more advance lobe profiles over some other companies. You could use one of the ford cams and they are pretty cheap. The downside is that they are old technology and you can get more from your engine with a custom grind or another off the shelf cam from a reputable manufacturer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i like the idea of a carb'd setup.. i went carb and i love it. the muther thumpr cams from comp cams are sick sounding, especially if its not a track car. they have videos of it on their site.

fuel pump can be electric or mechanical... the switch panel is a fairly simple job.. i custom made my own that acts as a radio delete and i have 6 switches on it, and my push button ignition (and room for 6 more below it.. but who needs 12 switches haha)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Go with any heads other than what is on the 351W when you get it. 87 and after they have the same heads your 5.0 has, E7s, prince of restrictiveness. If you wanted to stay low budget, check Edelbrock E-street and World Windsor Jr. heads.

As was said, the only motor that used a 351 and a GT40 lower were 1995 Cobra Rs and 93-95 Lightnings. Check craigslist and ebay, I have seen them on there. And that is the only lower that will match to your upper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found some Edelbrock EFI equipment for the 351w. does anyone have any experience with any of the Edelbrock equipment on the 351?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Which Edelbrock manifold (I assume you are tanking about the upper+lower)? I plan on using the Victor EFI on my build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.